TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to remotely troubleshoot a friends charging issue, and thought I'd bounce it off you guys and get your thoughts.

About a week ago he needed to jump his 'stang. No problem usually, but I was informed that his buddy had the cables reversed.

The issue now is that while he is driving the bird, the volt gauge startes to drop and the car dies. He got to an Autozone and replaced the battery. All good for a while, but now it is doing it again. He can get a jump after it dies and make it a little further, then it dies again.

I'm thinking hooking the cables up backwards fried the alt. on the t-bird. Is there anything else I should have him/I look at before we start throwing parts at it?

Jay

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
That is just what happened. A woman in my life did the same thing twice in two months. I am not sure if the alt its self was bad or the regulator type stuff on the top. But definetely swap the alt.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a feeling it was that. Thanks for the imput. Off to spend someone else's $$ and get an alt.

Jay

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I was hoping he didn't cook the ECU.

This is precisely why no one touches my cars but me! If you can't read a + and - on a battery, then you need to put the cables down slowly and walk away.

Jay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts