TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 96 bird is still looking good, real good. Looks new almost. Interior is spotless, motor clean as a wistle, no smoke, no leaking oil, no smoke from a stop yet only 700 miles since last oil change and I had to add a quart. WHAT GIVES?

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
Look for puffs of 'blue' smoke when you take off from a redlight after coasting up to it; or pulling away from the end of a long exit ramp.

I lose a quart between oil changes from the valve stem seals; using 'seal sweller' or 'high mileage oil' helps some people.

Replacing those is a drag; from someones post last year, you can't (easily) replace them in car.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC the manual says the 4.6L's "acceptable" oil consumption is 1 quart per 1,000 miles....

And I found this while trying to confirm it, since I don’t have a manual with me:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/18548-why-do-i-keep-losing.html

As a ford certified master tech I can give you the answer but you are not going to like it if you read a ford service manual you will find a chapter in the first 10 pages on oil consumption this is true for all 4.6l cars and I quote "1 quart of oil for every 900 miles is considered acceptable oil consumption due to the excessively tight tolerances of any motor in the modular family" I took that statement right from the factory manual hope it helps Chris

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is possible I did not fill it all the way after the last oil change but that is not like me to do that. I will watch it this weekend on my run to Cin to Nash and back.
As for smoke, there is none at any point of driving.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC the manual says the 4.6L's "acceptable" oil consumption is 1 quart per 1,000 miles....

And I found this while trying to confirm it, since I don’t have a manual with me:

I for one did not know that or have ever heard it .so if you change your oil every 3k you would have had to add 3 gts of oil for that period ? Glad I have one that so far does not loose any between changes

·
Registered
474 Posts

I dont know about that but mine runs right along with what the book is saying. Mabie every 1500 I am putting another quart in it. I figured it was just an older car and the seals are showing their age but mabie im wrong. I know I need a rear main.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mine is also burning oil supiscously. I try to keep an eye on it. You could put some brake fluid in the oil. The combination will make gaskets swell and seal shut. This does work, but be cautious...

Don't ever put oil in your brake resevoir though. It causes the rubber brake lines to get soft, and then you can't stop...

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
You could put some brake fluid in the oil.
I really wouldn't do that.

That isn't the same type of swelling; the brake fluid eats the seals.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
In my 97 service manual on pages 03-00-10 to 03-00-11 it says a quart every 1500 is acceptable

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
our cv leaks 2 quarts out the rh rear head every 2 weeks .....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a similiar issue I found that it hard to see the blue smoke from the rearview mirror. try having some one follow yoy to see if it smokes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts