TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Yep; 2,000 lbs is the max. recommended amount per the owner's manual. It also states the following:

Ten to 15% of the loaded trailer’s weight should
be on the tongue. However, the tongue load
should never exceed 10% of the maximum
weight that your vehicle can safely tow.

Be sure you've got a good tranny cooler!

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Power wise it isn't a problem. But, you need to make sure that the hitch is very well attached to the car and that when you load it that the back of the car isn't setting too low to the ground.

We have a pop up that I pulled once with my wife's extended cab 06 4x4 Nissan Frontier. Her truck is loaded to the hilt and has that incredibly powerful for its size 6 cylinder. With that truck you know the camper is back there, while on my 01 F150 you pretty much don't.

I used to pull a 16ft fiberglass v-hull boat with my 90 V6 bird. I had to play with boat placement on the trailer to lighten the tongue weight. Making it light enough on the tongue made the thing a little harder to drive than I liked, but it worked. The AOD transmission HATED it.

And please follow the advice on gettting a good transmission cooler. If not then you will be in the market for a new transmisison sooner than you planned.

Good luck.
Darrin

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Not a problem.

This pop-up weights around 1500 loaded,and I towed it from SE Texas all over Colorado when the car was bone stock. The only thing I did was add a trans cooler before the trip. The only thing I could have added before the trip would have been a set of the airbags in the rear coils to help stabilize the load and level the car a bit better.
JL

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Yes. Towing is not a problem. My car pulled a 6' x 12' U-haul trailer through the Rocky Mountains without a problem (Las Vegas, Nevada to Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, ~1980 miles). The car has a permanent trailer hitch -- very important.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
And probably if the camper in JL's pic had the axle a little closer to the center of the frame, it'd be more level. Looks like that's carrying a fair amount of tongue weight.

I think it'd be pretty fun to camp with the Tbird. I really like the little popups, I'm not much in to the gargantuan RVs, and a tent is a little cumbersome sometimes, but the popup camper is a good mix of worlds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts