TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, when I first joined I mentioned that my cougar was having the check gauges light come on around 4500rpm. When it came time to do the oil change I thought that might fix it, maybe it was low on oil. After the oil change, it started having the check gauges light come on around 3000rpm and the oil gauge goes to nothing. While changing the spark plugs today, I pulled one that was covered in oil, which is probably an o-ring failure. So, two questions. One - if it is an o-ring failure, what is the name of the part that I have to buy? Valve cover gasket? Two - is this what is causing the check engine light and low oil pressure, or do I have bigger problems than that?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The oil gets onto the spark plug electrodes and into the boots. This causes misfire and the SES light comes on. Is it possible that oil was spilled on top of the engine when filling it? Otherwise, there's a valve cover gasket kit to fix this common leak. You need to make sure every trace of oil is removed when the plugs get wet. Eventually, the car will start to bog and the oil won't just disappear.

Chances are if the oil level was near the mark on the dipstick there is nothing wrong with the engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil was dark, so it wasn't new oil from me pouring some on. There hasn't been any misfiring yet, and it was only that one plug that was like that.

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
Hey everyone, when I first joined I mentioned that my cougar was having the check gauges light come on around 4500rpm. When it came time to do the oil change I thought that might fix it, maybe it was low on oil. After the oil change, it started having the check gauges light come on around 3000rpm and the oil gauge goes to nothing. While changing the spark plugs today, I pulled one that was covered in oil, which is probably an o-ring failure. So, two questions. One - if it is an o-ring failure, what is the name of the part that I have to buy? Valve cover gasket? Two - is this what is causing the check engine light and low oil pressure, or do I have bigger problems than that?
Lets address the end of that first: "do I have bigger problems than that?".

Yes, most certainly, if what you're saying is correct. :smile2:

Let's break that down, shall we; obviously sentence structure wasn't really your 'thing':

- "my cougar was having the check gauges light come on around 4500rpm."

This is a sign it's low on oil, as the oil stacks up in the passenger head.

- "When it came time to do the oil change I thought that might fix it, maybe it was low on oil."

No **** Sherlock; see above.

- "While changing the spark plugs today, I pulled one that was covered in oil, which is probably an o-ring failure."

I'd love to hear what o-ring you think fails to put oil on the plugs, that would be awesome!

- "if it is an o-ring failure, what is the name of the part that I have to buy? Valve cover gasket? "

This is just precious!

People hate it when I'm bored, lol.

:grin2:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I would take a hard look at the intake manifold - especially at the heater hose fitting. I have seen a small leak of antifreeze seep into the spark plug well, and it turns to a black sludge from touching the rubber boot for a long period of time and looks like oil. But it is antifreeze.

99% sure this is your issue, which will also cause a misfire like you describe. I believe a new intake manifold is in your future. It is a very common issue with the 96 and up 4.6's.

Al

·
Registered
408 Posts
I would take a hard look at the intake manifold - especially at the heater hose fitting. I have seen a small leak of antifreeze seep into the spark plug well, and it turns to a black sludge from touching the rubber boot for a long period of time and looks like oil. But it is antifreeze.

99% sure this is your issue, which will also cause a misfire like you describe. I believe a new intake manifold is in your future. It is a very common issue with the 96 and up 4.6's.

Al
+1 if his manifold was never upgraded.

Mine fooled me into thinking it was oil until I discovered the POS plastic manifold had a small crack in it – and that was the second POS manifold!
After the original cracked and spewed all the antifreeze into the engine bay, it got replaced by the moron dealer ASE technicians, who couldn't even install injector o-rings properly (one was put in partially sticking out of its hole/port, and was of course FUBAR pinched when they torqued down the manifold/rail assembly on top of that). That put my car out of commission for a couple more days waiting to get fixed.
After going through two POS manifolds, I ordered the PI version and installed it mydamnself. It's a PITA having to source the required components, knock out the old water tube, drill and tap for the temp sensor, etc. I didn't see much, if any, performance gain that I can recall, but at least the damn manifold has a metal water channel and hopefully the plastic is a bit more robust on this one.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Plugs wet with oil on the outside pretty much indicates a valve cover gasket leak. When you remove them it will run down on the electrode and might make you think it came from within, but you can rest assured it's coming from above. Like the others mentioned, any coolant leak that drips on the intake "deck surface" has the propensity to fall down in the spark plug bore also. Once it gets too deep, oil or coolant, you will get anything from a little nibble to a dead misfire.

My bet is vc gaskets. Would be a good time to throw in a new set of plugs if it hasn't been done recently.

·
Registered
284 Posts
i am thinking is that the cross over tube from the right side is dripping oil on that vally where the plugs are and making it happen try to replace the rubber hose on that side where the valve cover is. where I found another like ours are from another merc thunderbird as well as a gt mustang as in the crossover tube

1 - 9 of 9 Posts