TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just got my 96 LX 4.6 and I am wondering about the shift points of this trans. I have had a 4R70W '01 Stang and still own a couple of T45 ones. Now I know this is no PI engine, but 1-2 shifts at 4300 at WOT seem a little low to me, although 2-3 and 3-4 are around 4900. Forgive me if I sound too noobish but I am a little concerned since this car has 168,000 miles on the original engine/trans. What rpm does your 4R70W shift at?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
max rpm should be about 5400...but then again the car could be "tuned" better, its conservative out of the factory.

at 168k, i ran a 14.8 at the track with my foot buried in the firewall......dont worry about the motor. its the trans you want to worry about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the car bone stock, is there something wrong with the PCM or the trans for it to be shifting so early? I know the PI engine makes peak hp at about 5400 but I thought the NPI was lower. I just feel it making power a lot later than it is shifting itself and I am trying to work the bugs out of the car because the owner did a piss-poor job with major maintainence items. Also, the trans was serived about 20k miles ago, and will be serviced again soon.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
vteckiller2000 said:
I bought the car bone stock, is there something wrong with the PCM or the trans for it to be shifting so early? I know the PI engine makes peak hp at about 5400 but I thought the NPI was lower. I just feel it making power a lot later than it is shifting itself and I am trying to work the bugs out of the car because the owner did a piss-poor job with major maintainence items. Also, the trans was serived about 20k miles ago, and will be serviced again soon.
there probably isnt an eec issue, just a ****ty factory tune. if the car runs alright, you most likely dont have any problems.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Vtec, I brought this same question up here about a year ago. With all the experts on the board I got mostly negative reactions about how this is not a race car and you that's the way Ford wanted it and how inaccurate my tachometer is.

For the time I had my Tbird I do remember at one time it did shift at 5200rpm, just like a few members claimed theirs did stock too.

I hope you find the answer to this.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Sounds about right.
Here's the stock shift points based on WOT RPM and part throtle mph.

JL

·
Super Moderator
11,173 Posts
So, Johnny, where can we get that software?

And does it write as well as read?

I've been looking for something like that for a while...lots easier than cracking the federally mandated encryption...

·
3,232 Posts
Grog6 said:
And does it write as well as read?

I've been looking for something like that for a while...lots easier than cracking the federally mandated encryption...
Yes,it write very well.
Getting it is as easy as calling SCT and plopping down the cash for the full tuning shop database and software package.
JL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So when I slap the stock PI top end on the Bird after the Stang's Head and Cam swap the only way to make it shift at or around 6k rpm is a tune, correct?

·
3,232 Posts
vteckiller2000 said:
So when I slap the stock PI top end on the Bird after the Stang's Head and Cam swap the only way to make it shift at or around 6k rpm is a tune, correct?
That's it.
JL

·
Super Moderator
11,173 Posts
Johnny Langton said:
Yes,it write very well.
Getting it is as easy as calling SCT and plopping down the cash for the full tuning shop database and software package.
JL
How much cash are we talking, $1k, 3k or over 5k?

There are no prices on the site...and is it eec locked?

·
3,232 Posts
Grog6 said:
How much cash are we talking, $1k, 3k or over 5k?

There are no prices on the site...and is it eec locked?
The pro racer package is the least expensive,but it's only a single EEC code image. The other packages are based on certain vehicle lines...Trucks,Mustangs,etc,etc...
All I can say on price...you'd better get out the big checkbook.
JL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Porkchop said:
who told you that? we dynoed my buddies pi powered 94 cougar and its peak was 4800..
Because I am looking at BOTH my PI Mustangs' dyno sheets.

·
3,232 Posts
SilverFox said:
Are there any handy tuners that can adjust shift point for individual 12 23 34 shifts, just curious....and if there is, what brands would be the best.
There's way more to it than just adjusting shift points.
JL

·
3,232 Posts
SilverFox said:
are are they all mostly inadequate?
That's pretty much how it is.
JL

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Your stock TC isn't going to hold up to shifts at 6000. One of the reasons the factory limited the shift rpm is that the stock 12 inch TC is only good to 5400 rpm.

Your better off getting a program from a tuner/dealer with experience with Tbirds. You can get a handheld device such as an XCal 2 with a custom program for your car that will also allow you to make minor adjustments to that program. If you want to tune yourself then go with the PRP like JL said. I have the prices listed on my website, check sig.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts