TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me more info on the problem of the composite intake manifold cracking on 96-97 4.6L Birds?

Will Ford fix the problem before it breaks?

Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long ago did it happen, and how many miles were on your TBird?

·
Registered
635 Posts
It happened about 1 year ago I had 49000 miles on it. The bad thing is it happened 5 days after I got my car:mad: But now I have 70000+ and everything is fine!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ask around at local dealers. I know of at least one dealer that said they had replaced several before they cracked. Also, not all 97's are covered. Sometime in the model year Ford started using a somewhat improved version. Mine cracked at around 51,000. It seems that most I've read about happened around 50,000.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have heard that all 97's made after mid june of 97 have "less" risk of cracking due to a change in the composite structure & larger rubber isolators where the alternator mounts to the water crossover. I have a 97 (mfg 8-29-97) that has 77k & seems to be okay still. What happens to the cars with over 100k miles??

W.Cup

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I found out more information today. I've been going to the Irving, TX Ford Quick Lane for service for some time and I've made friends with the manager, Dave Parks. He accessed the Ford computer system for me and showed me what it said. The info is below.

The open campaign code is: 97M91 Intake manifold additional coverage.

The coverage is free unlimited replacement for 7 years. That means that it ends in 2004, and the owner would then be responsible for paying for a replacement intake manifold. The language in the campaign said they would replace the intake if there was "noted concern."

If anyone has a 96/97 TBird, you may want to talk to your local Ford dealer and have your intake replaced with the newer one. The replacements are made with thicker material along the water channel near the alternator.

The build date for my 97 was 12/05/96. I'm going to have it replaced next week.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Where do you find the build date?......

:confused:

·
Registered
621 Posts
It should say on your door jam sticker.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It may be on the sticker in the driver's door jamb, I'm not sure.

The build date for my TBird came up in the Ford computer based on my VIN.

·
Registered
81 Posts
late 97 Intake and features

Hey W. Cup,
You said your car was built in August 1997. Just for the record, I have a '97 Sport built on 8/11/97 with almost 83K miles still running strong. I hope I never have to replace the intake, even though I do run her hard on occasion. Who knows if it will blow one of these days, but if it does, I hope it happens BEFORE 2004.
Thanks for the info.
Sidenote: The stock plug wires I just replaced said "1998" on them. Were late '97 builds sold as 1998 models at dealers? I bought mine in Feb. 1999 so I wouldn't know.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey Lounger......They didnt make a 98 tbird to i think that should answer your question :p

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, I know...

Thanks, but I know that Ford didn't make any '98 Birds. I saw 1998 on my plug wires and just wondered if some DEALERS sold late 97's as "1998" models. They've been know to do that on occasion. Makes me wonder who has The Last MN12 T-Bird.
:cool:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Well even better news about the intakes!!

as of december of last year they came out with a modified intake manifold with a metal water channel like the newer mustangs. I know this bc we have put one on a tbird and they are coming like this for cv also. the old part #F8AZ-9424-BC (NOT TO BE USED WHEN ORDERING) AND NEW AND IMPROVED! PART #F6SZ-9424-AA. TOTAL ELLIMINATION OF LEAKY INTAKE.
:D

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
last tbird is a red bird and the data plate under the hood says last tbird.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts