TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a wrecked 97 Cougar XR7 amd its very low miles. The only issue is the damage on the front end. Every part if gonna be cake to replace, EXCEPT the front bumper reinforcemnet bar behind the bumper cover and foam shock absorber. We cannot figure out the best way to go about removing it. Please help as soon as possible if possible. Thank you! Pictures of what I'm asking about are attached.

·
Super Moderator
11,671 Posts
That is the core support,iirc.
It has to be cut out and weldes back.

·
Super Moderator
11,671 Posts
You're right. Seems like there are pix of it off in MMartigan's rebuild thread.

Reactions: ewarren99

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope that's the bumper alright, core support = support around the radiator core ;)

But yes, drill out the spot welds, weld a new one in place IF the frame rail accordion sections haven't compressed, otherwise those need to be repaired before you put on a new bumper
Okay gotcha. And is it drilled out from the front or back side of it? And is I something we can bolt back in with heavy duty bolts? Or do I have to go buy a welder :/

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,705 Posts
Drill from the front, the spot welds be visible once you remove (what remains of) the foam low speed crash bumper in front of it. IIRC there’s 4 welds per side, nuts and bolts would be fine, welds are stronger and there’s some debate about the bumper contributing to torsional rigidity of the chassis but they’ll do the job, use grade 8 hardware though, you don’t want low grade hardware to shear off if god forbid another fender bender occurs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drill from the front, the spot welds be visible once you remove (what remains of) the foam low speed crash bumper in front of it. IIRC there’s 4 welds per side, nuts and bolts would be fine, welds are stronger and there’s some debate about the bumper contributing to torsional rigidity of the chassis but they’ll do the job, use grade 8 hardware though, you don’t want low grade hardware to shear off if god forbid another fender bender occurs
Thank god it's drill from the front. And for sure. I'd much rather do nuts and bolts to re-assemble to save the headache! And thank you so much. I'll be running to the junkyard tomorrow to get the new bar then!

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I would not fear bolting. The 97/98 Mark VIII front bumpers were bolted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I would not fear bolting. The 97/98 Mark VIII front bumpers were bolted.
Okay! I had a question. Will the bumper reinforcement bar from the 96 or 97 cougar and and Thunderbird fit? I would assume that the same bar they use for both. Let me know as soon as possible! Thank you!

·
Registered
1994 XR7 , 46 most every option. 66.000 miles. rustfree, from washington state.
392 Posts
94-97 tbird and cougar use the same rebar, -----foam cover support and h/l mount panel are same on 96 and 97 tbird and cougar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts