TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a few good posts on the subject. But, because I have a very low reading copmerhension I don't understand how the two intakes will just swap straight across. If they do swap straight, isn't there aproblem with them craking on a 95 the same as a 96-97 would? From what I understand that is like a 20HP swap. NICE

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
well, its the PI 99+ intake that you get more power out of. But the problem also lies in the heads, the valve springs and castings suck. Also, if and when you do swap a PI intake onto NPI heads, such as 96-97 LX or 96-98 GT heads, you will need to line up the manifold gaskets and run a bead of RTV over the coolant passages. Guitar Maestro has a pic of it.

joseph

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I will drop some science for ya......

The Intake that yields around 11rwhp, is the 99+ Mustang GT Intake manifold otherwise known as "PI intake". The 96 - 97 Plastic NPI intake is an upgrade from our 95, but won't add close to 11rwhp. Always go PI when upgrading intakes unless you have the money for the Bullit Intake 700+ dollars.

I will be doing a PI intake swap in a few weeks, and it seems to be quite involved, but I will start a thread when I begin.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
DMcBrideBoston said:
it seems to be quite involved, but I will start a thread when I begin.

Dave
quite the opposite....the only thing you absolutely have to worry about is the PI coolant tube and whether or not to upgrade the water pump nipple........i didn't, and just used a pre-bent 90* 5/8" heater hose from the water pump nipple and sawed off the first 90* turn on the PI coolant tube (the heater hose took the place of that turn)

oh and you have to drill & tap the aluminum coolant crossover on the intake to accomodate the extra sensor that our engines use......im actually doing that for a fellow TCCoA'er, since i bought the drill bit and the tap for it

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
guitar maestro said:

quite the opposite....
Aren't you talking about the 96-97 Intake to PI intake swap?

The 95 to PI intake swap seems alot more involved, I have done all my research and I needed so many more parts than everyone who has a 96-97.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
DMcBrideBoston said:

Aren't you talking about the 96-97 Intake to PI intake swap?

The 95 to PI intake swap seems alot more involved, I have done all my research and I needed so many more parts than everyone who has a 96-97.

Dave
ah yes, my bad.... :D i was thinking 96-97 -> PI

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
You had my hopes up for a quick sec, I thought maybe my research was wrong, and my swap would be easy......

I had to buy:

96-97 Rails
EGR
TPS
Intake Plenum
Throttle Body
and a bunch of other stuff......

All I am missing now is the install suff, about 60 dollars from Ford.

Total Cost is about 350 bucks.

Dave

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
DMcBrideBoston said:
uh.......I don't know, my studies never talked about that....

More info and recommendations?

Dave
The stock fuel lines on a '94-95 car will meet the manifold about the same place where the '96-97 style throttle body will be sitting. You need to either buy new lines (highly recommended) or bend your fuel lines back to meet the new fuel inlet.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
DMcBrideBoston said:

I will be doing a PI intake swap in a few weeks, and it seems to be quite involved, but I will start a thread when I begin.

Dave
I am in the middle of swapping a set of PnP'd NPI's and PI intake PI cam combo on my 94 as we speak. Aside for the cost of the porting, it's still a bit more expensive than just $350. But I am upgrading injectors, fuel pump, MAF, and so on and so forth. And I am trying to use all Ford parts, not just some radom hose for vac lines, etc. and they are real spendy new. Most of the stuff I got was used though, and it was still a pretty penny.

Some of the other stuff that you'll need is these things

vac lines (94/5 are too short)
the IAC inlet tube and elbow
evap emissions line
pcv lines
maybe some bolts
t stat housing
cruise control cable isn't needed and WILL not work unless you change the entire system around

There's quite a bit more stuff, but it's the obvious though. If you's have any questions about what I'm doing or parts I'm using feel free to ask and I can try to help out any way i can

Joe

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
No, just cut the end off your cruise control cable. Up to the part that it hooks onto the t body so it doesn't hit the fuel rail.

The 'whole system' is the cruise control 'brain box' under the fender if you will. the 94/5 run on vacuum and 96/7 run on electronics i think

Joe

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Guys, I found a complete '96 'bird being parted out. Today I got the intake tube (but it has two openings for hoses, not just the PCV hose that I need ???). I asked the guy what he would sell the parts from intake up for and he said $125.

Sooooo, has anyone compiled a *complete* list of '96 parts needed to update the '94-'95 yet? They're probably going to let me pick-n-pull the car myself so I would need to know exactly which parts I need and all of them. So far, I've seen partial lists, but there is no definitive list. It would be nice if there was a writeup by now.

Also, if anyone buys the parts new in the future, it could help having all the part #'s, part descriptions, and prices from Dan Newman.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts