TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently have a '90 V6 T-bird that I have just about driven into the ground. I'm looking at 96 & 97 T-birds, but I'm wondering about the 3.8 V6. What's everybody's opinion of the engines on those two birds?

ice_nyne
----------
'90 V6 bird -- no mods, no upgrades

·
Registered
26 Posts
To be honest with you I think the 3.8s are pieces of crap. They blow headgaskets, their power is a joke for use in a car that weighs 3,600 pounds, and they are nothing compared to the 4.6. The V8 is a very solid and strong engine. They last a long time, and they have power that can beat any V6 T-Bird except the supercharged super coupe. In my opinion i would spend a little more money to get a V8. Besides V8s are more fun.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The newer bird improved over the years. There is less of a worry about head gaskets, and the trans issues with the AOD-E were ironed out. I personaly dont like the feel of the interior of the 97 (my brother has one, so it is all on what you like). If you are looking for economy stay with the 3.8. If you want power get the 4.6.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I don't mind my 96' 3.8L, but I would have went with a V8 if I could have got it as cheap as my 3.8L ( I payed 4100$ for it, cheapest v8's were 7200$ around my place)gas mileage is all right, around 20 in town and 26 on the highway ( I DON'T baby it) when it was stock :). The head gaskets in the 96-97's are ALOT better than previous ones, but still can blow, though unlikely. If you can get a V8 for less than 1000$ more than a V6 car I would go that route.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
really depends on where you live, Most places I've been the V8's are priced 1000-1500$ more than the V6's. The funny thing is there were FOUR (4) times as many V8's made as there were V6's in 96' and 97' and Its actually harder to find a 96-97 V6

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
some decent points made here. thanks

ice_nyne
----------
'90 V6 bird -- no mods, no upgrades

1 - 7 of 7 Posts