TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, i posted before on what would the gain be from an 02 GT MAF and got a sweet response and good feedback. Now i know that the 98 GT MAF is only an 80mm but its still calibrated for the 19lb injectors and i realize that the 02 is for the PI heads, but is that the only difference in the calibration? If so, then the 80mm 98 MAF is just a smaller upgrade next to the 90mm 02 MAF?

jOe

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
ford MAFs aren't 'calibrated' for injectors......the EEC uses the MAF along with other sensor inputs, and some built-in values to calculate injector pulse-width for any given RPM and load

the 99-04 GT MAFs are 80mm.....the tapered opening on the filter side is 85mm, but the exit where the airtube connects is 80mm...so for all practical purposes, its an 80mm

but only the 02+ MAF (part #: YC2F-12B579-AB) has a more precise transfer function for less fuel calculation errors, which is what helps driveability

the only (i think) Ford MAF that is 90mm is the Lightning one

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guitar maestro said:
ford MAFs aren't 'calibrated' for injectors......the EEC uses the MAF along with other sensor inputs, and some built-in values to calculate injector pulse-width for any given RPM and load

the 99-04 GT MAFs are 80mm.....the tapered opening on the filter side is 85mm, but the exit where the airtube connects is 80mm...so for all practical purposes, its an 80mm

but only the 02+ MAF (part #: YC2F-12B579-AB) has a more precise transfer function for less fuel calculation errors, which is what helps driveability

the only (i think) Ford MAF that is 90mm is the Lightning one
Where does our MAF fit into the catagory of saftey/drivability? Between the 2 different MAFs or what? So basically the 99+ is smarter and safer for the engine?. My decision is that i want a MAF and i can get a 96-98 real cheap. Would i be doing my self in?

jOe

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
getblown said:
Where does our MAF fit into the catagory of saftey/drivability? Between the 2 different MAFs or what? So basically the 99+ is smarter and safer for the engine?. My decision is that i want a MAF and i can get a 96-98 real cheap. Would i be doing my self in?

jOe
our stock MAF is good, just not as good as the 02+ GT MAF

just because its a 99+ from a PI mustang, doesnt make it better....only the 2002 and newer have the better electronics

IMO, there is absolutely no point in getting a 96-98 GT MAF (or any GT maf older than a 2002 for that matter) if you're stock or slightly-modded....won't gain jack

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
guitar maestro said:
our stock MAF is good, just not as good as the 02+ GT MAF

just because its a 99+ from a PI mustang, doesnt make it better....only the 2002 and newer have the better electronics

IMO, there is absolutely no point in getting a 96-98 GT MAF (or any GT maf older than a 2002 for that matter) if you're stock or slightly-modded....won't gain jack
Thats the answer i was looking for. I now consider myself knowledgable on MAFs (atleast those two) ;) Thanks again.

jOe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts