TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing some thinking.... Pick up some cheap low mile 96 NPI heads, insert PI cams, top with PI intake and get close to 200rwhp....

What would this swap entail? Assuming the differences in parts needed between swapping PI heads onto a 94 vs a 96, would all of those "extra" parts be what's needed for this swap?

-dubbs

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
:gotsearch

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
this has been gone over, in a newbie thread i posted about when i had my 94, if it were me doing what you wanted to do, id get everything above the engine block from a 96-97 tbird, and then go from there, so got any hook ups on a donor engine to swap all this stuff from?

then id just go about doing the pi intake swap witch would be no diffrent as all you do is replace the stock bird npi one with a pi one, jurgen swaped 96-98 npi heads onto his 94 and i think he also threw on a pi intake, not 100% sure

·
Registered
501 Posts
yeah you will most need and want to replace all those parts in the head swap article.
If you go with the NPI heads you can use your existing valve covers on your car.

You will really have to look for those low mile NPI heads , I would not pay more than $250 shipped ,If you can find them locally for cheaper then great.

Im positive you will want all the headswap article parts to get better results. Any more questions?

Tom

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
actually if u want only 200 hp just do basic boltons my 95 made 192 on the competely stock motor with just add ons i added comp cams and made over 200rwhp close to 205 lol and it extended the power band signaficantly and with the pi intake on top i made like 220 but on swap parts my friend used some explorer parts on his car and it worked out good

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tx_Cat said:
:gotsearch
wow, thanks. tried here, tried Mod Depot......tried locally....

uhm, wow.
glad you're amused. I'll be here all week and twice on thursdays.

judging by a couple dyno sheets I browsed over, found a guy putting down 219. So I guess my 200 *thought* was a little low....

As far as a bolt on car.....I'd gladly take more than 200HP....this was just a "goal" for this "idea of a project"....

281 - yeah, had my eyes on a set of low mile heads actually (yes yes AEDM8)....

Oh well, running out of time before the J-man comes to town and too many other things to take care of.......

Guess I'll :rolleyes: :search: (more) if I get some time off work....

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just bought some NPI heads off of a '97 Mustang Gt and I paid in total w/ shipping $111.80. They are complete. Look on e-bay. thats where I got mine. My NPIs I got had 58,000 miles on them and are going to the machine shop this monday for some cleaning and crack testing then if all is good then all is go. I plan on Comp Cams, Comp springs, PI intake, Speed Pro forged pistons and rods, Speed Pro main and cap bearings, new OEM oil pump for good insurance, new chains and sprockets and anything else that is needed for the project.

Clay

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
if your not going to port the non pi heads i'd say forget about them and go with pi's. you'll pick up a bit more power. only thing is, it will bump up your compression so you will no longer be blower friendly.

Frank

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If you'll be happy with 220rwhp go with the NPI's... If you want closer to 250rwhp, go for the PI's, but you won't get PI heads as easily or as cheap as you will NPI's...

If 200rwhp is your goal, you don't need to do the PI cam or intake swap, just 96-97 heads with a stock NPI cams and 96-97 intake and bolt ons will get you very close to that... My '96 was around 200 with true duals, GT MAF, pullies and chip...

My '95 is at 176.9rwhp with just 22c plugs, 180* t-stat and an SCT dyno tune... I added a J-mod and 3.27 closed rear, and it's like a different car to drive.. much more pep... It's not GB, but I enjoy it..

-mike

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
yeah, wait and get those npi's ported

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fdawg97lx said:
if your not going to port the non pi heads
It'd leave that option open for down the road (porting or whatever). I have no idea what would come as time passes here (heck, this idea just came up a couple weeks ago).

.....but in looking at some dyno sheets.... With just the 96 heads, PI cams, and PI intake, the car put down 219. With headers and a flowing exhaust, could obviously see more than that, which would put it close to a number of PI swap/Header setups I've seen....(right around 230 with JBAs iirc)
So yes, it'd be cheaper....but might net a few less horses...

96GB - hah, happy with 220rwhp? yes. I was happy with 180 and 15.26 1/4 times. I'd be happy with 200rwhp. I'll be happy as long as the HP numbers keep going up and the trap times keep going down. But 220rwhp wouldn't be a stopping point...

Getting heads ported...not on this budget. ;) (yet being the big word here)

My '95 is at 187rwhp with just 22c plugs, 180* t-stat and an SCT dyno tune...
and people said mine was a freak with 179 and running 15.26 (or even when it was running 15.68).... Although I think J could throw some more timing at it if I ran 93 octane....

oh well, like I say, running out of time to do anything now (J's in town in 3 weeks).... Have to keep reading (I guess... I know very little about the little details on the top ends of these motors obviously) and see what I can learn....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Oh... I'm not going to install them stock :D They're going to the machine shop this monday to get crack tested and if they're good then I will have them start PnP on the heads. I want to do the whole install at once. Such as buying all the parts for the engine, heads, intakes etc. and take the engine out and do it as a new engine build basically. I think here pretty soon I'm gonna get the stall converter added and 3.55 rear ratio (still thinking about it). I know I'm learning these motors alot here lately. I got my heads and the cams were put on like they were 2 right side heads and I didn't know they were supposed to be the same excact head. I was scared untill I turned the cam around after looking at them for an hour cussing.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
94Tbird UMWTC Prez said:
and people said mine was a freak with 179 and running 15.26 ....
My BAD... I edited my previous post.. I shoulda realized I was looking at an old dyno of the '96 not the '95... The '95 is only at 177rwhp and running 15.5's

sorry about that...

-mike

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
thats still really pepy

my 94 ran 15.8 but it was bouncing off 1st and 2nd gear rev limter :(, my iac and maf and like every other sensor was doneeeeeee

1 - 19 of 19 Posts