TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full part # please.

Fordparts.com says 5B112, which Googles various irrelevant replacements.

I'm guessing few to no dealers have any left, but I might luck out online with an exact part number.
Fordparts.com says $64.60. What's a reasonable yard price?

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Ford used two different K-Member front support bars, or as Ford refers to it "Frame Rail"

The early bar is Ford Part Number: (E9SZ-5B112-A) or (E9SZ5B112A)
The later bar is Ford Part Number: (F6SZ-5B112-A) or (F6SZ5B112A)

Now you're probably wondering what the difference is between the two?? :D

Like most parts with our cars, as the years passed..The bean counters at Ford looked for ways to save a penny..
Most likely, the later support bar is not as strong as the early support bar (less metal)
Visually, I don't see a difference between the two..

The early front support bar was used on all 89-95 MN12 & 93-95 FN10
The later front support bar was used on all 96-97 MN12 & 96-98 FN10

Rayo..

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank ya much, Rayo! I remembered F6SZ is my Bird's prefix code, but I keep forgetting to try the darn "A" suffix on everything -- in this case, it meant the difference between no hits and 100+ hits. :rolleyes:

OEM Auto Parts claims they have one for a '98 Mk VIII, $50.84 shipped.
I'll price check local stealerships first.

Seems rather steep for a hollow metal tube, but ugh, mine's bent to hell (don't ask) and with the bad roads around here, I know I need one in place.
The old bar can't be remounted -- it unbolted with a bang, serious tension! :surprise:
Hopefully, the frame/K-member itself was completely spared and I won't need to have it checked for straightness. I shudder to think how costly that would be.

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
I've had Lazarus on the frame straightener twice so far; at least the k-member unbolts, lol.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're scaring me. What would be the symptoms of a slightly off frame/k-member? General instability while cruising? Sway when cornering? Over/under steer? Inability to align caster to spec? All the above?

How much stress would it take to bend the subframe/frame? Would it have to be a collision or curb-hopping (my Bird experienced neither)?
For that matter, how much stress would it take to bend it w/o that frame rail in place? I had to drive it yesterday to get meds and food. :|

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks to a helpful member, I have a replacement.

Unfortunately, I encountered a number of potholes, parking lot/driveway ramps and some speed bumps before I got the thing installed.
Just had to be as careful as possible with those and take off gingerly from a stop to try to minimize torsional stresses.
Keeping fingers crossed. :|

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
Lazarus has the front right wheel at a slightly different plane than the other wheels; maybe 1/4" difference, but I can feel it.

I've tried to measure it, and failed*, but their equipment can see it and fix it.

It's a 3d bend, lol.

In retrospect, I wouldn't recommend reforming a car's unibody using random roadside objects, personally. And Check your engine Mounts! :)
Chains are a wonderful thing. :)

*Ever try to measure better than 1/8" WRT rough concrete? :)

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Thanks to a helpful member, I have a replacement.

Unfortunately, I encountered a number of potholes, parking lot/driveway ramps and some speed bumps before I got the thing installed.
Just had to be as careful as possible with those and take off gingerly from a stop to try to minimize torsional stresses.
Keeping fingers crossed. :|
I was driving my bird around and had apparently forgot to install this piece. I only remembered when I went to check your tracking number. I was definitely not trying to "minimize torsional stresses" before it was installed and can't tell a difference either way. It's good to know it is on there though. Glad I could help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts