TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone well my 96 bird is burning about a quart every 1000 miles or so, now I have been reading different things online about this and some things I have read say that burning a quart every 3000 is ok but mines at only 1500 and Im about halfway down the dipstick from the full mark which I added a quart to 500 miles ago so thats about a quart and a half. I have noticed that if you drive it that day leave it sit an hour or so and come back out and start it there will be some blue smoke that comes out the tailpipe but it goes away fairly quickly and doesnt return. I have already done compression test and they were all 151-160 to be exact, but I still seem to be burning it. There are absolutely no leaks. I have heard about valve seals going and such but is it possible the guides are bad? The only plug that becomes soaked in oil was #3 all the other were fine...any ideas?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts
Mine burned about a quart every couple months, maybe 2500 miles max. Not sure what exactly cured it, but the last time I added oil before I changed it, I added a quart of that "high mileage" stuff which supposedly contains additives to soften the valve seals. When I changed the oil a month or so ago I used the 5W-30 Motorcraft synthetic blend and I haven't seen any drop in the level on the dipstick so far. Not to mention I seafoamed it again too...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Actually, the smoke you describe indicate failed valve stem seals. It could be worse and be worn valve guides. If it were me, I would buy or borrow a valve spring compressor and change the seals. If that doesnt work, then you can go deeper. Also, fill the oil pan only to the point where it registers about half between full and add. Even when changing the filter, I add only five quarts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is just getting ready to turn 127k. What type of high mileage oil did you use? I use pennzoil conventional because of the leaking(cheaper). The next quart I ad will be a high mileage oil, just let me know what you used. If the high mileage doesnt work then I will try replacing the valve stem seals....the only thing is though, is that if I get it done somewhere instead of me doing it the people I go to send the heads out to be totally done so I may just wait and save money for a "performance" rebuild.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i had the same problem as you..... did some searching and some of the others here have used lucas oil additive to stop it from puffin blue worked for me and my car is getting ready to turn 200k gl.

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts
I believe what I used was the super-cheap store brand that Wal Mart puts out, I think it was "Super Tech" something or other.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have used many different brands of oil over the years, and have had good luck with many of them. I guess with a 125K engine I would recommend a good synthetic blend such as Penz, Valvoline, Castrol etc. Myself, I use nothing but Mobil 1, full synthetic in everything I have. Two SCs both with over 110K mi and a pt cruiser with 60K. I do not use any additives at this time, but in the past have used STP with Valvoline Racing oil in a 70 Cuda 440 c.i. with very good results. Have used Duralube in Mark 8's, and also Prolong in Marks and SCs all with satisfactory results, and no failures.

You have to realize that, I'm so old that I remember when multi viscosity oils (10-30, 10-40 etc) first came out on the market and for a while they were the scapegoat of engine failures far and wide..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah same thing today, i started it and seen a puff of blue, and when I revved it when i got home it was a BIG cloud of blue but everytime after that when i revved it, it was only a puff of blue then.

·
Banned
198 Posts
Jump Up To 10/40 Or 15/40 Wt

ALSO ADD SOME LUCAS OIL ADDITIVE:) AND YOU SHOULD SEE SOME GOOD IMPROVEMEMT :rolleyes: I HAD THE SAME THING RUNNING 5/30 WT:( JUMPED UP TO WHAT I TOLD YOU :cool:AND NOW GET TO 3000 + BEFORE USING A QT:tongue:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am definitely going to try some high mileage stuff and if that doesnt work i will use some lucas oil additive on the next change but I think I am saving up for a rebuild....can someone give me an idea of what to make mine....I want maybe another 50-100 horses and ditto for torque but want to run on no higher than 91(even though I run sunoco 93 right now) and want decent mileage still(I get 20-21 right now but i can live with 15mpg). Is it possible to have a performance shop build this for me and be able to have those gains N/A, rather than spending a ton on a supercharger or turbo setup? Plus I want a nice sounding true dual exhaust too if I get this done that way its all done at once. Oh, and a trac Lok too but i am unsure if i want gears or not because I like the ones i have in a way.....any ideas?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update with adding the oil, I am now closing in on 2000mi since a change and just added my third qt. I was able to pick up some Valvoline 10w-40 synthetic blend along with a motorcraft filter, I still have a quart of regular 5-30 pennzoil so what im going to do is if it needs oil before a change I will finish that off, and then will change to the valvoline 10-40 with some lucas oil additive, but my question is that how much do you put in? I have never used any of this before so if someone could tell me how much to put in and how much oil less you have to put in after putting the additive in that would be great. Also Do you put the additive in before the oil itself?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I don't recommend mixing oil weights.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not mixing, I am not changing to the other oil until the next change, until then if I need to add oil I have a quart left over of the stuff thats already in it now so I can just finish that off.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
oh, okay. Good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts