TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When taking off from a dead stop the car shifts weird and is very sluggish.. also when cruising down the freeway about 65mph it feels Like it stops accelerating for a second.. it's not dropping rpms but feels like a slip or something..

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
If the trans were slipping, the rpms would go up while the speed stays the same.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,452 Posts
Can you elaborate on "shifts weird"? Takes a while to engage/shift, engages/shifts with a bang, irregular engagement/shifting, etc.?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say it's more like irregular shifts .. Its not slipping and there are no bangs or noises. It just shifts very sluggish and at weird times i don't know maybe torque converter or shift solenoid going bad??

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
Well to be fair, the stock 96 trans shifts are slow and sloppy from the factory (esp a 4-3 shift). Is what you're experiencing a change or has it always been this way?

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Have you been changing the trans fluid per manufacturer's specifications / numerous posts on this website? If you're thinking the trans fluid needs changing it probably does.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have noticed a change when shifting from 2nd to 3rd it seems like it looses power and the rpms go up then drop real low not like normal shifting ... I just rolled over 90000 miles and have regularly checked trans fluid ..Smells ok and isn't low but maybe I should change it anyway also any additives that you would recommend

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
Well... 1st has a ratio of 2.84:1. 2nd gear has a ratio of 1.55:1. Both 1 and 2 don't lock the torque converter, so the ratio seems much higher in terms of actual engine speed to output shaft speed due to the torque multiplication through the unlocked converter. When it shifts to 3rd, the ratio drops to 1.00:1, then a second or so later the torque converter locks. So RPM will typically go from 1600 or so in 2nd down to maybe 1000-1100 if you're not heavy into the throttle.

·
Super Moderator
12,424 Posts
Don't put any additives in it. Just use fresh Mercon V.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe it's just me lol.. the miles are getting up there so I'm going to change the trans fluid and filter.. thanks for all the advice guys

·
Super Moderator
12,424 Posts
J-Mod that bad boy while you're in there!

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts