TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a little in depth and pics would help a lot, but I do not have a way of posting the pics. If someone has a way of hosting them, please PM me

When I got my first PI motor, it had an aluminum crossover intake and a strange throttle body on it....right above and below where the PCV valve connects to the T/B, there are two extra nipples on it. When I broke down the explorer wiring and everything, I noticed a hard formed line going from a boss in the intake right behind the thermostat, and it went into the throttle body on the lower nipple. I dont remember where the other line went, unfortunately, although I have an idea:

When I got this motor ready to run, it would not start although coolant was dripping at a fast rate, to my surprise, down the bellhousing..... turned out there was an extra nipple on the coolant hardline behind the engine, my NPI motor did not have this.

Because this first engine snapped a timing chain, I received another PI motor from greenleaf. This one had a clutch fan waterpump, the plastic intake, and a throttle body that looked a lot like my NPI t/b....apparently an earlier production date motor.

So, I swapped the aluminum crossover intake and the t/b over to the new engine, I also used the e-fan water pump from the first PI motor since I could not get the clutch fan off. The coolant hardline in the back I used the one from the second motor so the coolant wouldnt drip, it did not have this extra nipple

So, I guess my question is, what throttle body should I use? The one that looks more like my NPI one and just cap off the tapped boss behind the thermostat? Since I figured the top line went to the hardline behind the intake, i capped it off....and water leaks out of the threads!

SO WHY DOES COOLANT GO THROUGH THE T/B???? What is
Ford thinking? I looked inside with the T/B off, the coolant does not go into the throttle body itself, it just goes in and circles back out to the top line.

I capped the line coming from the boss behind the thermostat, and my car got hot like the thermosta wasnt opening, and then it would drop down to normal. Hooked it back up, gauge stays solid. So what do I do?

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
i can maybe post a few pics for u...email me at [email protected]

i want to see this tb ur talking about

·
Registered
647 Posts
96_LX said:
SO WHY DOES COOLANT GO THROUGH THE T/B???? What is
Ford thinking? I looked inside with the T/B off, the coolant does not go into the throttle body itself, it just goes in and circles back out to the top line.
I'm 99% sure I've read something about this on here somewhere. I read so many explorer swap threads before I did my swap that most of the info has started getting jumbled up in my mind. Hopefully someone else can chime in on the coolant through the tb.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
email me the pics...id love to see how it looks

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I switched to the other explorer t/b and all is good, I just capped off the coolant nipple behind the thermostat. I tried to take some pics but my brand new cheap batteries could not power the camera to take a pic. I will get one soon because it is trippy, I was kinda freaked when i first hooked up coolant to the T/B and didn't know where it was going lol. Never thought it would be to keep the t/b from icing over

EDIT: I called a Ford dealer and he said the part number from both t/b's are 2002 models, one is earlier production date and one is later. The one that this coolant in the T/B came with the aluminum intake, which I swapped to the second motor because the second motor came with plastic intake. I figure the one with the aluminum crossover is probably the later production date, because it was the Canadian Mountaineer/Explorer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts