TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what kind of times is a stock 96 thunderbird gonna make at the track......i may be buying a 96 4.6L bird....i am planing on intially beefing up the cooling system and then going for drivetrain mods before i get into extensive engine work

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
all stock, i've seen 96-97's run anywhere from 15.6-16.3. it all depends on the condtion the car is in, track conditions, traction, weather, altitude and driver error.

Frank

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Weather and altitude can change times by a second or more. Any 96-97 v8 should be in the 15s (corrected) at 88 to 93mph.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my friends 96 ran a bone stock 15.1........i guess he had a factory freak.....whats the lowest stock 96 times someone has seen?.....my old 94 lx was quick enough to run a 15.3 so i think this 96 will feel slower to start out with....but it has way more room to improve

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and out of curisosity what mods have you done so far to get you a 15.3?

·
Registered
632 Posts
J-mod - does nothing for track times
Flowmaster catback - does nothing for track times
3.73 FRPP pumpkin

My best launch I had to go 1/2 throttle to not spin, with traction this is a 14 second car :(

The 94/95 heads and intake are in my opinion overrated, and there is a much greater difference than the 15ft/lb of torque between them and the 96/97 cars.

-Andrey

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
first time i ever ran i had just a gen 1 jerry chip and ran 15.5.

Frank

·
Registered
3,178 Posts

Bone stock.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a catback will help track times....maybe not alot but it will.....alot of thunderbird guys think a catback or cuting the mufflers does nothing......when i cut my mufflers in a ctback system.....it def gave me a good 10-15 wheel hp......cuase i felt it in my pants.......so....it had a big effect....i dont know if its cuase it was a 94 or not......im trying to get that catback off my old car for my next bird

1 - 12 of 12 Posts