TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 thunderbird 4.6,when the key is on, the coolant fan and fuel pump continue to run.I put a code scanner on it,it says it cannot link to the car.Back in may someone else had the same problem but never said how they fixed it. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Could be a lot of different things. I am no OBDII guru, but there is an OBD port fuse. On the other hand, it sounds like the EEC is gone. Have you used any tuners or chips lately? When tuners are trying to establish comm with the EEC, the fan and fuel pump run. Most of the time they tell you to unplug the pump fuse before starting. Like I said, I am no expert, but it is something to look into.

Good luck

·
Registered
158 Posts
first check obd port fuse as already mentioned. thats gonna be the cheapest fix if thats the problem. better to spend 3 bux on a new fuse and atleast elminate that than go right into buying a new eec.

also ford uses a master fuse which links just about everything. im not completely sure where itslocated on these cars but i wanna say its attached to the side of the fuse box under the hood. but just for the record on the contour and taurus its usually somewhere in the trunk for some stupid reason, and it aint cheap nor is it easy to find. only ford parts stores carry them (read: the dealership is the only option and they'll charge you two appendages along with ur wallet and sanity for it).

im hping its just the obd fuse.

gl
keep us posted
Travis

·
5,650 Posts
It could be the computer but it could also be the CCRM. It's a box of relays located in between the passenger headlight and the air intake box. If you turn the key and the Check Engine light doesn't come on, then most certainly I would suspect the CCRM. It provides power to the fan, fuel pump, and computer, so if the CEL isn't on when the key is turned, the CCRM isn't working right.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yea, I didn't think that maybe some relay tips are welded. Should be easy to locate the bad relay. Look in the manual for the relay that controls pump, fans, etc. Ohm out the posts. I don't have any literature in front of me, but I'm sure someone on here could chime in and point you in the right direction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts