TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brenda's stock 96 Cougar 4.6, 173k, was running fine, no CE light, yesterday morning would not start, just cranks over and over. Here is what I know so far:

1 month old fuel pump primes up every time you turn the key on, installed by RobertP.
Car is NOT getting a spark between coil and spark plug wire while cranking.
CE light does NOT come on when you turn the key on. It worked 2 months ago.
There IS power at the fuse box terminals for ECM and COIL.

From talking to RobertP, it appears that it could be one of three parts:

ECM
Crank Sensor
Ignition switch (note that the ECU fuse is getting power).

Any insight anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Al

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Does the cooling fan come on when you are in key on, engine off and the CEL is not on?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, fan does not come on.

But funny you should mention that as her fan always seems to be "overactive". As in I hear it kick on when she first starts the car when already warm and no A/C on, ie: a situation where it doesn't come on for my T-Bird. Her car runs a little on the warm side compared to my T-Bird though.

Al

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips.

Bangster: how does this issue relate to the fan? Should I turn on the A/C to see if the fan comes on?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I had an issue, that others have had, where two wires, I believe they are the heater circuit wires for the HO2 sensors get burned and touch.

CEL not on when it should be, my fan continually ran. I found it by moving the entire main harness to the PCM around until I heard relays click, then it would start and run, until I hit a bump or went around a corner too fast. I eventually started unwrapping the harnesses. I believe that the wires were in a braided heat resistant sheath that ran over/under the EGR tube and it was that that burned them.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car started fine yesterday! I also unplugged the MAF, and got no check engine light!

So, it appears it is a bad crank sensor, and the CE bulb burned out in the last few months!

RobertP is going to install the CPS, since he is the best, and I am tired of working on her car! I have an old gauge cluster that I can steal a bulb from for the CE light.

Al

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Car started fine yesterday! I also unplugged the MAF, and got no check engine light!

So, it appears it is a bad crank sensor, and the CE bulb burned out in the last few months!

RobertP is going to install the CPS, since he is the best, and I am tired of working on her car! I have an old gauge cluster that I can steal a bulb from for the CE light.

Al
Got that right AL :thumbsup: Glad to hear its getting worked out .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts