TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 96 Cougar Sport model with the big brakes. I had the problem of warped rotors in the front when I bought the car at 36,000 miles a few years ago. I took off and had the front rotors cut and they warped again in a few weeks. I found this board and found I had to torque the lug nuts carefully and I did. So I had them recut and I bought a torque wrench just to keep in the trunk. Now they are warped again. This would be the 3rd cut on them. I have 45,000 miles on it now. Should I cut them again or should I go to the Ford dealer and get new rotors or?? Has Ford improved the rotors since 96 or does someone make a better quality rotor or???

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I don't think you will be able to cut those rotors again. Check the specs in a helms, haynes or chiltons manual. Did you replace your brake pads after getting the rotors turned?

P.S. a sport cougar is as rare as a 1998 cougar.

·
Administrator
8,032 Posts
He may have problems with the front hubs. Jim Phelps did a lot of research on this because he had a similar problem. Have the front hubs checked. Check out his site in the Readers Ride section.

Joe

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
As Joe said, I have experienced a lot of brake rotor problems. As you stated, lug nut torque is very important, but if you are torquing down to an uneven hub, you are not doing any good. To eliminate my brake problems, I started out fresh with a new hub on the offending side, and two new front rotors (which it sounds like you are due for). In a few months, I started to have the typical pedal pulsation feel, and so I took the car to the local Ford dealer where they had the rotors machinedON THE CAR . There is a special machine to do this and it isn't cheap, but it has effectively cured my brake problems.

Jim Phelps

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The previous owner of my car complained of brake warp, and the FIRST time he went there they gave him new rotors....ALL FOUR.:eek: Never had a problem with them though.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would go with new hubs and fresh rotors. Torgue them down to the right specs and see what happens. Getting the rotors turned while they are on the car is very expensive and I would only try that only after you made sure it wasnt the hardware itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts