TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my buddy just took my 95lx for a spin, and now he wants me to do the J-mod on his 96 3.8L cougar. Is there anything I need (or don't need) to do that would be different from the 95? I think the 96 has the updated accumulators IIRC.

I'm thinking all I need is:

updated 1-2 upper spring (blue)

2 seperator plate gaskets

Mercon V

New filter

I think that's it. If I do need the 1-2 and 2-3 accum., please let me know as I'm gonna order this prob. tomorrow. Also, would drilling it out to the 300 hp setting be bad for the 3.8, or does it matter? I have my 4.6 LX at that setting, and it's what he wants as far as shift qualities go. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
the actual install will be about the same. I'd replace all the accumulators anyway... theyre cheap, and you never know whether its got the good ones or not. The 96 were supposed to have the updated 1-2 I think, but it can be hit or miss.

Not sure on 3.8L vs. 4.6L and how that affects things, but I wouldnt go higher than the 300hp setting... and if the 1-2 is too harsh you can always put a lower spring in. If you plan to use top and bottom springs, then have at it, IMO.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I told him I wanted to replace all of the accumulators anyway, but thought maybe I could save some $$ for him. I'm just gonna do it all like my 95 and be done w/ it. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts