TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could cause this?when cold or the first start of the day.my car runs bad untill warmed up.i will say the colder it is outside the worse it runs.symtoms are rough idol,lots of mini missfires.sometimes shuddering making the whole shake.but once warmed up it is fine and runs pretty smooth.
There is no CEL light on and it is not burned out.things i have done in the last few months to try to correct this are.

plugs/wires
fuel filter
air filter
new vac lines
sensor on fire wall for egr valve.had cel light for that.
new 02 sensors
sprayed cleaner into egr valve
Cleaned replaced MAF

what else could it be?air/fuel sensor?EGR valve?what ever it is, it corrects it self when the motor is warm.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
It could possibly be your IAC valve going bad. At first start up it might be sticking and not working correctly, then when you run it for awhile clears itself of the problem. Also of topic were in WI are u?? :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MattsLE97 said:
It could possibly be your IAC valve going bad. At first start up it might be sticking and not working correctly, then when you run it for awhile clears itself of the problem. Also of topic were in WI are u?? :)
Thats what my gut tells me,but its been wrong before.I'm leaning twoards that or the egr valve itself.But it does seem like a air problem.i was hoping someone that had this problem would see this thread since searching i did not find much.And i hate to just start replacing things.

I live in Waterloo.it kinda between madison and milwaukee.
On a sidenote,not sure if you go or not but have you seen any 96-97's in the yards around here.I have a yard near me with more pre 96's than i can count,but not one 96.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
What about oil? Did you change the oil lately and use the correct grade of oil? Try 5w 30 API grade SG or SG/CC multi-grade... I tend to like full synthetics.

Take a look at your PCV valve. Is it gummed up? Can you hear the ball go up and down when you shake it? If not clean it with some brake cleaner and let it dry before re-installing...

Are your belts squealing?

Does the car run bad in park, neutral?
:eek:

·
Registered
64 Posts
i am having this problem too kind of...Mine runs like crap once it warms up but the air outside is cold. My CEL came on so I had autozone run the code and it is the egr valve. I haven't cleaned it yet because I can not seem to get to it w/o taking off half the hoses around it. :mad: The car idles at about 500rpms but will also drop below that when it warms up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok yesterday i bought a air/idle sensor.and reset the ecm.problems are 88% fixed car starts and runs way better when cold now.But i still have these little misfires when in park.not so bad when dropped into drive.

J.Miller

its due for a oil change.but its had this problem since i bought it 2 years ago.It just gets way worse as winter arrives,hence my scramble to get it fixed.

PCV valve-cleaned and rattles

Belts are quiet.

5-w30 oil

Could the EGR be resonsible for the misfires?I have noticed my gas milage dropped.from about 400 miles to a tank to around 340.not sure if it will rise again since installing the new sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts