TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find out what trans is in a 96 F150. Trans code E auto trans. Need to know if it is a 4r70w. it is 4wd if that makes a diff. Thanks

Joe

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Hey YT90SC - I see your from Glenwood, IA - if your interested in getting together with some local T-Bird guys, we are getting together at the end of Feb. in Bellevue. Your welcome to attend - e-mail me ([email protected]) or PM me for more details.

Thanks
-Melon

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I ended up running across the decoder too. My friend just got that truck after rolling his other and was curious. How's the e4od strength wise compared to a 4r70w?

Joe

·
Registered
125 Posts
The E4OD/4R100 is a heavier trans than the 4r70w. It also acts like it. It heavy and over-engineered for soft shifting, and I strongly recommend a **** kit, PWM lockup eliminator, a 4x4 oil pan and BIG-A$$ cooler. Superior products makes a good kit, with instructions on how to eliminate PWM lockup. It is not as efficient a trans as the AOD-e/4r70W. The 302 is a real slug with the E4OD, but the 300, 351 and 460 seem to do well with it. With any of the available gas engines, the E4OD is kind of a shift hunter. Calibrations got better with the modular engines and it wasn't so bad with a 5.4. The big secret is keep it cool, keep the fluid changed REEGULARLY and it will live ok.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
302 is real slug in any of those trucks, so is the 300 , you wont be going aywhere fast , imo its a better trans than a 4r70w, but it is designed to be

1 - 7 of 7 Posts