TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 ford thunderbird 4.6L V8 tan interior
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
super confused what my issue would be. I did a strenuous amount of research but honestly doubt anyone will even know either.
-
Basically, my tbird had a stalling out issue. I replaced my MAF sensor since I thought it was the problem but it ran beautifully before that. now it only cranks but won’t start. Tried swapping my old one back in, same thing. I know the 3 wires that go to the DPFE sensors commonly get melted together on these cars but mine looks just fine. actually looks like the sensor itself has been replaced before. I have replaced the fuel pump last year, I replaced the fuel filter, I did an entire tune up job last year, it has fresh gas in it... I’m starting to think it might be the PCM luckily I have another tbird with one in it. should I try swapping them out?? only thing I could think of that could be wrong. I even cleaned out my throttle body, cleaned the IAC valve, and cleaned the EGR valve. I also replaced the alternator recently. I am very very familiar w/ the 4.6 V8 we have had 6 of these motors in my family. 4 of which are/were the OHC. anything would be helpful thank you

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ALSO!!! I forgot to mention I totaled this thing last year. just recently put insurance back on it because it was driving great until the stalling happened... and not to mention the problem only got worse in the roughly 2 weeks it was going on.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,526 Posts
Fuel, air, spark - start here.

Pull one of the plugs and check to see if it's got spark while a friend cranks. Put a fuel pressure gauge on the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and check to be sure you have ~39 PSI. We'll go from there. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuel, air, spark - start here.

Pull one of the plugs and check to see if it's got spark while a friend cranks. Put a fuel pressure gauge on the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and check to be sure you have ~39 PSI. We'll go from there. :)
well when it cranks the needle just wiggles. it doesn’t bump up in pressure at all.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,526 Posts
If you turn the key to on, the fuel pump should run for about 2 seconds. You should be able to hear it when it does so. Is this the case? The interia switch in the trunk isn't tripped?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
well when it cranks the needle just wiggles. it doesn’t bump up in pressure at all.
What about the tach? When you crank, does it stay on "0"?. I had Rob tell me that it was the crankshaft position sensor if it did that. I guess it's supposed to move a little. He was correct about our old 96 Cougar.

Also try turning the key on and listening for the fuel pump. If it's on for 2 seconds as mentioned, you're good. If it runs continuously along with the engine fan running, it's a bad PCM.

Al

Reactions: Jett

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about the tach? When you crank, does it stay on "0"?. I had Rob tell me that it was the crankshaft position sensor if it did that. I guess it's supposed to move a little. He was correct about our old 96 Cougar.

Also try turning the key on and listening for the fuel pump. If it's on for 2 seconds as mentioned, you're good. If it runs continuously along with the engine fan running, it's a bad PCM.

Al
this is a great suggestion and I’ll bet it’s probably more than likely my issue. you think I messed that up replacing my timing chain cover? cause that would make sense. I actually wasn’t having the stalling out issue until I replaced it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts