TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I correct to assume that if I put the 96 front cover on my aluminum PI engine, only 1 hole will not line up and I can just put silicone in that hole, right? I dont feel like locating another 93-5 front cover and if I can use a 96 that easy, then I will. I think I will need to get the right gasket set though. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
No wonder I can't get that bolt in...

I really need to fix my shop lights, lol. (and cut down on the brew)

Anyone have a pic of said fix?

EDIT: I'm a total 'tard; I have a Romeo iron block.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IIRC, its the bolt right by the water pump that is moved. 14 out of 15 bolts aint bad ;) I am also interested in hearing/seeing pics of how people actually dealt with this problem. Seems like a long time ago when putting in the 99 model Windsor PI engines people were running into this problem and I remember someone saying to just silicone the hole. Maybe it was kdanner? I cant remember now. :D

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I put silicone in my extra hole, roughly 4k later and no leaks at all. if look close at the pic, just to the right of the water pump you can see the missing bolt, cant really see the black silicone I stuffed in there but its there.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome :D What kinda paint did you use on that front cover? It looks sweet! Also, are those valve covers painted? They look super shiny! I also want your intake manifold ;)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The paint is just silver engine enamel, or maybe it was aluminum, I dont recall. Either way, just basic engine paint from Autozone. And yes I did paint the valve covers as well, again just basic gloss black engine paint. I figured while I had everything apart and was building, might as well make it look good, thats why I used a bench grinder with a wire wheel on it to clean all the crud off all the bolts and painted them as well. the motor looked gorgeous when it was all put together before it got into the car. Here is another pic, a better one that I found

P.S. alot of people want my intake manifold, but I have no plans to part with it just yet, I will drive my 5 speed shifted V-8 car with a blower on it before I die if it kills me lol.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it looks great, maybe I should paint mine up before I install it. I ordered a 96 front cover gasket set and they sent me another one that says it fits 91-95 and I anticipated running the 94 cover before I found out it was cracked :(. So now I guess I will have to send one of them back!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Rob,

Are you the 'Rob' in the MM&FF Questions and answers section this month asking about that front cover on a bird?

Darrin

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol no, I only get press on tccoa ;) I used to read MM&FF many years ago though. I liked it because it wasnt ALL mustangs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts