TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I don't know if anybody else besides me can't stand the gauge cluster that comes in the 97 bird, well you can change them. It took me almost 4 hours and alot of wire snaps. Only one prob the 97's didn't have the wiring for thre oil pressure so you have to tap it and extend it down to the oil pressure sending unit i guess. Haven't gotten that far yet. Everything works except the oil pressure. I plan on redoing it right one day as far as soldering all the connections and heat shrinking, but for now i am so syked that i actually have a decent set of gauges back in there. Ok sorry about filling th board with non-question type post but i am so syked, and had to tell everybody.

-Derrick-

-97 Ford Thunderbird Sport-

-Underdrive Pulleys/ Full Length Kooks Headers/ Dynomax Catback/ 99 Gt Intake Tube/ K&N Panel Filter/ 80mm Lightning Mass Air Meter/ Removed Air Silencer/ 180 T-stat/ Custom Burned Ford chip/ 9mm FRPP Wires.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Been there,done that.All you need to do its swap the sender out for the '96 model oil sender,and you're done.The wiring is there.
JL

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
johnny, the oil pressure sending unit on the 97 just checks to see if there is oil pressure and the 89-96 sender actually measures how much pressure? so swap them out and i can use the wiring already there? if thats it.......... I got it...... and thanks!!

-Derrick-

-Underdrive Pulleys/ Full Length Kooks Headers/ Dynomax Catback/ 99 Gt Intake Tube/ K&N Panel Filter/ 80mm Lightning Mass Air Meter/ Removed Air Silencer/ 180 T-stat/ Custom Burned Ford chip/ 9mm FRPP Wires.

·
3,232 Posts
Fast96Tbird said:
johnny, the oil pressure sending unit on the 97 just checks to see if there is oil pressure and the 89-96 sender actually measures how much pressure? so swap them out and i can use the wiring already there? if thats it.......... I got it...... and thanks!!

-Derrick-

That's pretty much how it goes...
One is actually a NO contact,and the other is a NC contact for the gauge.
JL

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
the 96 gauges also seem alot quicker then the 97 gauges.....like theres a diffrent look to it and you can almost tell they are quicker...

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
hey man, you should write a tech article on this. i'm sure a lot of guys would like to try it. i know i do. can you explain how you did it? when i intalled my white face gauges, theres were only two harnesses that plugged into the cluster, i dont recall seeing other harnesses that weren't used. also, did you have to change the piece of the dash that goes around the gauges? i believe they are a different shape. any info would be great.

Frank

·
3,232 Posts
Frank,you need to get the cluster,surrounding trim,and the connector/pigtails off of a donor car(Ford doesn't sell just the cluster pigtails with connectors),a new oil pressure sending unit,and an eletrical schematic of both years.Most of the wires are a simple color-match,the rest are easy from there.
I spliced the older style connectors into my existing harness and left the old '97 connectors in place as well-incase I ever needed to swap back.
Took me about 3 hours total-and that included splicing and soldering time.
JL

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
sounds fairly easy, i'm pretty good with electrical stuff and rewiring etc. do i just get the oil sending unit from ford? any idea how much it costs. Thanks for all the info johnny.

Frank

·
3,232 Posts
The sender is about $10 or so,and you can get it from Dan,or the local parts store if you feel lucky.
JL

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
sounds good. looks like i have something to do while my car is just sitting anyway. one last question. do all the idiot lights work?

Frank

·
3,232 Posts
fdawg97lx said:
sounds good. looks like i have something to do while my car is just sitting anyway. one last question. do all the idiot lights work?

Frank
The low fuel,door ajar,low washer,and cruise on lights all go away unless you wanna adapt in that goofy info-center that ford used under the radio in '96.
None of those are really useful anyway..So I don't miss them.
JL

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
yes my man derrick did it in 3 hours.....and johnny i think he means the idiot lights in the actauly dash....like the ones when your car is dieing ones......yes they all seem to work but then again its kind of hard to test to see if they work unless u just use a volt meter......the car looks way cooler when its going to 6100rpms at shifts then with the fagy tarus gauges (i apologize to those gay since the gauges should not even be compared to those)....the bird ones were meant in there....and it feels more like a bird again

·
3,232 Posts
JoeyICU said:
yes my man derrick did it in 3 hours.....and johnny i think he means the idiot lights in the actauly dash....like the ones when your car is dieing ones......yes they all seem to work but then again its kind of hard to test to see if they work unless u just use a volt meter......the car looks way cooler when its going to 6100rpms at shifts then with the fagy tarus gauges (i apologize to those gay since the gauges should not even be compared to those)....the bird ones were meant in there....and it feels more like a bird again
Yeah,all of the other lights work fine.The ABS,CEL,High-Beam,etc..all work just like they're supposed to.
JL

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah Frank. I had alot of people telling me I should write up at tech article on it, and if I can borrow my buddies digital camra I might do it, anyway with a wiring diagram, both 96 gauge cluster harnesses, and 3-4 hours..... It's simple, and anyone can do it. I do owe alot to Gordon ( MANGER THOM ) for the diagrams. Thanks Gordon!!!

-Derrick-

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
yea, i'll probably be taking a ride out to a junk yard tomorrow to see what i can find.

Frank

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yeah and remember you need that oil presure sending unit out of a 96 to get the oil gauge working. I have not swaped mine yet only because i am pulling the motor out of my junked 96 and putting it in my 97 next weekend so it would be pointless to swap it into the 97 for one week. Once the swap is complete it will work again!!! Well anyway good luck frank!!! It's a worthwhile mod and if you need the diagrams let me know.

-Derrick-

·
3,232 Posts
Fast96Tbird said:
Yeah Frank. I had alot of people telling me I should write up at tech article on it, and if I can borrow my buddies digital camra I might do it, anyway with a wiring diagram, both 96 gauge cluster harnesses, and 3-4 hours..... It's simple, and anyone can do it. I do owe alot to Gordon ( MANGER THOM ) for the diagrams. Thanks Gordon!!!

-Derrick-
Wonder where Gordon got the diagrams...:D
It's not hard at all-and is why nobody's bothered with a "tech article"
JL

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
hey guys, i went out to the junk yard today and picked up the gauge cluster out of a 94/95, the 2 wiring pigtails and the dash trim all for $35. i was syked cuz the cluster alone was going for aroun $75-$100 on some internet parts sites. anyway, the wiring diagrams/schematics would be great if either johnny or fast96tbird could post them or email them to me at [email protected] . also does anyone have a part # for the 96 oil sending unit? i just gotta pick up one of those and have scott make me a new set of whuite gauges then i should be all set. thanks for all the help guys.

Frank

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
fdawg i thought you were selling your bird?....i had eec diargrams i dont know if thats what you need....its what derrick needed......pm me if this is what you need

1 - 20 of 64 Posts