TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my dumb a$$ idea to drive through a flood which bent a rod, I took my car to get estimates. They company found a 96 GT with 95K on it for $700 ($900 installed) but they have to do it or I can't get the engine. I know it is the same as a 96 bird engine, but will I notice any improvements in power or will it be like driving a 97 Bird. I assume this place realizes that the two engines will appear different.

ps. I asked, they did not find a 99+ GT engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If they couldn't find a 99+ GT engine I would guess that they already have the '96 engine on hand. No they aren't the same, similar yes, but not the same. Also, $200 seem awfully cheap for an installation, maybe it's just a good deal but I would get everything in writing before spending a penny. Check greenleafautoparts.com and see how many engines you can find. Just make sure what kind of 'pig is in the poke' before you buy it. Red

·
Registered
663 Posts
That's a lot of miles for a replacement engine. I would see if I could get them to foot the bill for a 1999 and up GT or Explorer motor with lower miles or get them to write me a $900 check and do it myself. Take the $900, buy an 2k2 explorer motor, mark8 convertor, and mark8 flexplate and be done :)

B

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked. They even looked and asked around. They cannot find any 4.6 (Explorer or 99+ engine) that would be a lower price than a new engine, my insureance company will only give enough for this engine. Apparently people in these parts know what they have...or they are just over priced. I believe I am stuck with the 96 motor. Just a ? though, what did ford change from the 96 head to the 99. BTW the $900 installed should have said $900 installation to totall $1600 and then you have to include some other neccessities.

·
Registered
175 Posts
dude, if you can get $1600 ($700 for the engine and $900 for the install), i'd make them write you out a check and go get yer own stuff and you can actually get what you want, especially something with a lot less miles on it.....

if you do what Thunder said, you could get all the stuff he mentioned plus some other stuff, and come out way ahead

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
About $600 to R&R an engine in Crystal Riv. Fl.... that would leave a cool grand to buy a replacement mill... hi milers 95-96 go for $400 to $600 here in good condition, a really great mill worth a grand could be found... cant see things being that much more pricey in Ky..... look around a bit , youll come up with a good deal....Do not let the Ins. Co. push you around...demand the cash... go from there...good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts