TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I've got a friend of mine here at work that has a Black 96 LX with the 4.6, no mods, on his way in this morning the car drives fine, idles fine in park, and neutral, but when pulling up to a light the RPM just keeps coming down and the car dies as you stop. Almost as if you had a manual tranny and forgot to put the clutch in. No lights or other resons for stopping, just dies.

I've got a 95 SC so the 4.6 is not my strong point, any ideas?

RJ

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the same problem in my 1995 4.6L. I've tried cleaning out the intake, but I don't think that's the problem. It's as if the torque converter isn't unlocking or disengaging. I know my torque converter's going bad because it's shuttering. So I'm hoping it's related to the Torque Converter. I went ahead a bought a Mark VIII converter and will install during my Spring break. Hopefully that will fix the problem. Until then, I'm going to be borrowing my parents car. If that doesn't fix it, I suspect it might be some kind of defective solenoid in the valve body, but that's the extent of my knowledge, hopefully someone else will chime in with more advice.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Here's some additional info (a flowchart from the 1996 PC/ED manual), in the event that the solenoid isn't the culprit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good thoughts guys...

IronChopz, do you have step 6a of that flowchart, I just showed Jerry this and he did the IAC test following the chart and when he unplugged it the car just died, there was no idle drop it just died, he said the chart says to go to step 6a and it wasn't on what you posted here...

RJ

·
Registered
54 Posts
If the problem was the TCC solenoid or the IAC, wouldn't the check engine or OD/light warning come on? Just curious because I remember hearing for some transmission problems, the OD light will blink; however, neither the engine or OD lights are coming on in my car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
leojeng said:
If the problem was the TCC solenoid or the IAC, wouldn't the check engine or OD/light warning come on? Just curious because I remember hearing for some transmission problems, the OD light will blink; however, neither the engine or OD lights are coming on in my car.
Nothing is coming on on Jerry's either..

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
kamakazie_1 said:
Good thoughts guys...

IronChopz, do you have step 6a of that flowchart, I just showed Jerry this and he did the IAC test following the chart and when he unplugged it the car just died, there was no idle drop it just died, he said the chart says to go to step 6a and it wasn't on what you posted here...

RJ
Yes, I have access to it. I won't be able to get it posted until Wednesday morning, since all I have at home is the 1993-1994 manuals, and the flow chart differs from the one posted.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Forgive me for jumping on this thread, but I think your friend Jerry read the chart wrong.
It says that if either the RPM's drop, or the engine stalls, to do the following;

Perform EEC-V Quick test. Go to Section 5A, diagnostic subroutine DSR-1

Take a look at the chart posted above.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
This is copied from the 96 Ford Service manual, but not sure how much this will help you.

This is Section 5A, DSR1, 2 and 3

DSR1 QUICK TEST: VEHICLE PREPARATION

l Apply parking brake.

l Place shift lever firmly in PARK (NEUTRAL for manual transmission).

l Block all drive wheels.

l Turn off all electrical loads.

l Is vehicle prepared to run Quick Test?

Yes
GO to «DSR2».

No
REPEAT this test step.

DSR2 RETRIEVE AND RECORD ANY CONTINUOUS MEMORY DTCS

NOTE:
The purpose of recording any Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) at this time is to ensure that they will not be unintentionally cleared during any Key On Engine Off (KOEO) or Key On Engine Running (KOER) DTC service (by disconnecting the PCM, vehicle battery, etc.). As always, KOEO and KOER DTCs will be addressed before Continuous Memory DTCs.

l Key off.

l Connect Scan Tool to Data Link Connector (DLC).

l Key on, engine off.

l Retrieve and record any Continuous Memory DTCs (MIL and non-MIL).

NOTE:
If unable to access Continuous Memory DTCs or any Scan Tool Communication problem exists, go to Section 6A, Pinpoint Test Step «QA1». For more information on retrieving MIL and non-MIL DTCs, refer to Section 2A, Diagnostic Methods ( «Continuous Memory Self-Test»).

l Are any Continuous Memory DTCs present?

Yes
RECORD (on a piece of paper, etc.) the Continuous Memory DTC(s). These DTC(s) will be addressed after KOEO and KOER Self-Tests. GO to «DSR3».

No
GO to «DSR3».

DSR3 PERFORM KEY ON ENGINE OFF (KOEO) SELF-TEST

l Key off.

l Scan Tool connected.

l Start engine, if possible, and idle until it is at normal operating temperature.

l Key off.

l Key on, engine off.

l Activate KOEO Self-Test.

NOTE:
If unable to activate KOEO Self-Test or any Scan Tool Communication problem exists, go to Section 6A, Pinpoint Test Step «QA1». If additional information is required for KOEO Self-Test, refer to «Section 2A», Diagnostic Methods.

l After the completion of KOEO Self-Test, retrieve and record any KOEO DTCs.

l If DTC P1000 is present, ignore it at this time.

l Are any KOEO DTCs (except P1000) present?

Yes
Key off. GO to the «Powertrain DTC Charts» (located after the Diagnostic Subroutines) for Pinpoint Test direction (begin diagnosis with first DTC output).

No
For Electronic Ignition (EI) Applications and Probe:

GO to «DSR5».

All others:

GO to «DSR4».

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Thanks, R-T. I didn't catch that flow chart direction, myself.

kamakazie_1, I'd suggest following the instruction Rolling-Thunder posted, and try to get a code reading. The section 6A, test KE1, is a tad lengthy, but the direction R-T posted has you scanning for codes.

If you do need the KE1 test, click here for a MS-Word document.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts