TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night on the way home the volt gauge in my 96 suddenly dropped from the mid position to approx the 9-10 range. There doesn't seem to be any loss of battery as all the lights and heater were working just fine. Never lost power. After getting home I let the car sit for a bit and restarted it and it fired up just fine first try. The only variable I know changed on the car is that I added a set of fog lamps 3 days ago. Followed all install instructions. Proper grounds and an inline fuse. The fogs were not on when the volt gauge dropped. Any suggestions on this one? False reading from the gauge perhaps? Bad ground someplace else?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Check your major grounds for corrosion. Did the voltage change with an increase of RPM, or did it stay in the lower range the whole time?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Get your alternator tested. Maybe even install a new voltage regulator, which bolts onto the back of the alt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No corrosion or loose grounds. Problem was actually there in front of me the whole time: Somehow my return cable from the top of the alternator back to the battery was loose. Once that was tightened back up the gauge went back to its normal reading. Strange part was I never messed with it to begin with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts