TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the one I pulled from the old 96 Mark VIII along with the torque converter from the father-in-law's 97 Thunderbird 4.6.

Trans was J-modded at 174,250 miles for longevity purposes - the separator plate was drilled to "mild" settings and the 2-3 accumulator piston spring was removed. I pulled it out of the car at 204,400 to swap in the trans from the aforementioned T-bird which had 166,350 on it at the time. Shifts fine.

Free to anyone who wants to come pick it up in Avon Lake, OH. Don't have the space for it at the new house, and the in-laws want it gone. Come get it, I'd rather see it go to someone who can use it for whatever reason than have the trash guys pick it up.

Summary (for those too lazy to read):
Trans has 204,400 miles. J-modded at 174,250.
Torque converter has 166,350 miles. No shudder, good lockup.

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also have the aluminum two-piece drive shaft from the 96 Mark VIII. Also free if you come get it. I'll ship it to you but again it's the two piece design (still an upgrade over the stock crimped steel in weight savings alone).

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I’d most likely be interested in trans for a back up for my bird. Is a 96 mark trans a good one to build if I wanted to in the future? Been awhile since I did some reading on transmissions for the car.

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to what Darrin told me when I went to pick up the new one for the T-bird it's not a bad one (like the 93-95s)... but it is missing some of the better parts (mechanical diode mostly). Other than that AFAIK it's buildable.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
The biggest change is the mechanical diode.

If you're rebuilding it, (which ANY used tranny we can use straight up will need,) there's better parts Now than were ever installed in ours.

The new one piece Teflon shaft seals will cure 90% of issues; the mech diode, pump seals, and clutch seals are the rest of the issues. :)

Depending on what you're driving, it will work well. A 1200hp car needs something other than a 4r70w, lol.

And it has a 7 tooth tailshaft, which allows up to 3.73's, iirc.

And it's not susceptible to the 2-3 accumulator stamping the VB plate, lol. There's a pic in my gallery, but it's missing right now.

If you haven't seen this:

How to: - 4R70W Transmission Rebuild Diary | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

These guys are awesome.

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still got this thing, it's at the in-laws' place. They want it gone, so I'll throw this thread to the top to see if there's any renewed interest. I'll junk it sometime after the new year otherwise. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
Do you have a dipstick tube?

I need one.

:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mmmm, I don't think I saved one... I will look this weekend when I'm back up there for their Christmas get-together.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
Thanks; I crushed one. :facepalm:

BTW, I thought the tradition was for the new HomeOwners to get to host Christmas; maybe that's just here. :)

("To get to" is the lol part; it's traditionally when all the inlaws, relatives, etc. show up to to criticize the new place, and tell you how much you overspent, criticize your tree choice, talk about how skinny the dog/cat is, etc.)

Hopefully, that's just here. :)

Merry Christmas!

:grin2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts