TCCoA Forums banner

96 Sport Package rear shocks

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  96SportLX 
#1 ·
I have a 1996 4.6L T-Bird LX with the Sport Option suspension package (upgraded suspension components and wheels). I am under the impression that the rear shocks are different from the standard T-Bird shocks. I had them replaced about a year ago at the dealer, but I didn't notice anything until I went on a trip recently, where I encountered a highway with severe undulations and curves, while it was under maintenance construction. The car's rear end wallowed like an old car from the 50's or 60's.

Can somebody clarify for me what rear shocks (Ford part# would be great) should be installed with the Sport Option package, and if they are still available? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
I tried a set of oem motorcraft non sport shocks, they were very bouncy with the sport springs. They got replaced right away, I think I had them on a week. I was lucky and found a member here who sold me sold a set of new old stock sport shocks.

Our cars have limited options for stiff, or oem style sport shocks. Cobra Mustang 99-04 with the independent rear suspension have the same size rear shocks. Tokico made aftermarket shocks recently for our cars but they are now about gone as well.

At least you don't need fronts, they are even harder to find.

It wouldn't surprise me that in a decade or so we are going to have to send away our shocks to get rebuilt like some obscure classic restoration place. If there is even anywhere that will do that anymore.

#4 ·
I called the my local Ford dealer and they said that it was discontinued. Just wondering if anyone has tried out those Bilsteins, and if they eliminate the bouncing.

#5 ·
If you read the thread that Joe linked you above, you could answer both of those questions yourself. :)

#6 ·
I have a 97 sport (71K) and non-sport (41K) T-Bird. I have not replaced the rear but I replaced the front on the sport with Monroe premium quick struts and I am very pleased with the handling and the much improved ride on roads that are not perfect or new. There is a slight more lean but hardly noticable with excellent handling. At about the same time I changed upper and lower contol arms, sway bar links because the boots were cracked from the vehicle being stored inside in a dry climate and they were not able to properly hold grease.

#7 · (Edited)
OK. :)

If that works for you, that's awesome.

I've tried most combos but that one, the quickstrut springs are softer than the stock 4.6 springs.

The monroes were soft, the gabriels were stiffer, but both were wasted in 3 years.

Koni's were the only other shocks that worked with sport springs, but unavailable.

Read the stickys, and see where we are coming from.

#8 ·
Just got the rear Bilstein shocks installed - perfect fit. They are much better controlled than the ones installed by the dealer, which were floaty at higher speeds, even when they were freshly installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.