TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to tell from just looking? Im looking for a 96-97 sport and I know you can look for the TTTT on the plate under hood but if it has the rims and a spoiler in the pic`s it should be one right?

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
easiest things to look for are the rims or spoiler. others you have to look under the car to find out.

·
5,650 Posts
easiest things to look for are the rims or spoiler. others you have to look under the car to find out.
This is a bad method of trying to determine, the spoiler especially. Rims can easily be swapped as well. The only true method of determining is the spring code.

·
5,650 Posts
This is a bad method of trying to determine, the spoiler especially. The spoiler wasn't a sport-only option. Rims can easily be swapped as well. The only true method of determining is the spring code.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
This is a bad method of trying to determine, the spoiler especially. Rims can easily be swapped as well. The only true method of determining is the spring code.
why is the spoiler not good? i thought only sport packaged birds got these...nvm saw your second post thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
Look for the 'JJJJ' spring code. I have a 96 Sport with the sport springs, but no spoiler and standard front brakes.

Mitch

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
why is the spoiler not good? i thought only sport packaged birds got these...nvm saw your second post thanks
Because many people like to put spoilers on their cars. Just think of how many people on here have put a spoiler on his/her non-sport car.

·
Registered
604 Posts
where exactly is this plate? my car has no spoiler but has the upgraded rims, im not really sure on brakes and springs, but it does have that mentioned traction assist off/on function - wonder if ive got a sport model in hiding?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
where exactly is this plate? my car has no spoiler but has the upgraded rims, im not really sure on brakes and springs, but it does have that mentioned traction assist off/on function - wonder if ive got a sport model in hiding?
Im 99% sure that the sport did not have traction assist only because you get the trac loc rear end with a sport. Riddle me this though, did the sport come with antilock brakes? I just dont like the idea of the traction assist as when the tires spin in the snow it makes a funny sound and you feel the brake being applied to that wheel. I freeks my wife out when this happends. I tell her to turn it off but she forgets. Im sure it also wears down the brake pads quick as well.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The Sports have one of two springs codes:

It's either JJJJ or JJEE - if you don't have one of them - you don't have a sport

Forget about spoiler-no spoiler - 16 wheels -15 wheels -disc brake- drum brake- big brakes -small brakes- they had them in all different combos

The ONLY common tie to all Sport models was the spring code.

Read all about it

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=37099&highlight=calling+all+sports

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The "sport" wheels were an extra cost option on all the 96-97 birds, as was the wing. As far as I know the only parts exclusive to the Sport were the big Mark VIII brakes, the SC (JJJJ or JJEE) springs, and firmer shocks. I'd never even heard of any rear end being a part of the Sport Package

I'm looking at a 1997 Ford Thunderbird Dealer brochure right now... it says:

1997 Ford Thunderbird Dealer brochure said:
Sport Option (requires Package 157A): P225/60R16 BSW Touring Tires on 16" Aluminum Wheels, larger rear stabilizer bar, revised spring rates and front lower arm bushings, revised shock absorber valving, larger front disc brake rotors, and rear decklid spoiler with integral high-mount stop lamp
Package 157A includes the leather wheel, and shifter. the 6-way power drivers seat, and the 4.6 V8 (and probably other things that I can't find)

Doesn't mention the rear diff at all.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
I had a 97 lx with a factory spoiler.
combination s that I have seen. early 96 cars have rear drum brakes on non abs cars. all abs cars have rear wheel disk brakes, some sports did not have a rear spoiler because it was available to delete for credit. Sports did not come standard with ABS or a track lock rearend. they came with revised springs, stiffer lower front control arm bushing, thicker but hollow rear anti roll bar, and stiffer shocks.

It was possible to get a v8 with manual seats but cost more than buying it with package 157a

I also seen a base v6 car with factory leather seats and manual seat tracts.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Of course... LOL "dealer installed" alterations and options can change almost everything that the factory option list says.... Not to mention owners and salvage yards.. I know a lot of folks here have changed the "options" on their car with a little trip to the salvage yard! I know I have! ;):D

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
yes my car was a lx but now it is a sport without a spoiler. I came with a junk aftermarket spoiler. I bout another trunk lid and got rid of it. I also converted my car to a sport. J code springs, stiffer shocks, thicker anti roll bar. and sc spec front lower control arms.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Actually, until I got the book out just now I didn't even know about the upgraded lower control arms.... One more thing I'm gonna have to upgrade!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts