TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been asking my dad if he wants to race my T-Bird vs his Maro at a track sometime soon. He said he would when he gets a new radiator.
My cars timed 0-60 averages 5.4 seconds. It is chipped and tuned. I have no clue what his is, but he has a bone stock 350.
I think it will be a good race if I get a decent launch.

Who do you guys think will win or wich is most likely to win?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Its a 5.7 liter I think?
yeah, but if that is the ORIGINAL 5.7l 350 ci motor in that 79 camaro... you will walk him.

Why?

the highest HP motor, which came in the Z-28 packaged car was 175hp.

Milled heads, quadrajunk carburetors, log cast manifolds plus emissions equipment really sucked the life out of them.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,808 Posts
yeah, but if that is the ORIGINAL 5.7l 350 ci motor in that 79 camaro... you will walk him.

Why?

Milled heads, quadrajunk carburetors, log cast manifolds plus emissions equipment really sucked the life out of them.
DSM hit the nail on the head , I used to have a 79 Z

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Dont they still at least have more torque than that 4.6L due to the increased displacement?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
nope, torque is not always a result of displacement... have you seen the torque figures on the SC 3.8 V6?

edit: corrected... lol give me a break, I just got up...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
nope, torque is not always a result of torque... have you seen the torque figures on the SC 3.8 V6?
:2huh: Don't you mean, "torque is not always a result of displacement" :tongue:

Based on the stock numbers, the T'bird should win. It has more HP and torque than the 350 and they weight about the same.

I think it will boild down to off the line traction and the driver.

But just my non-drag racing .02. :thumbsup:

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,808 Posts
My 79 had 3.73 in the rear end and a shift kit in the turbo 350 trans , My best friend had a 79 Trans-Am 6.6 4-speed I could beat him every time from a dead stop but when he hit 3 gear he was gone :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 79 had 3.73 in the rear end and a shift kit in the turbo 350 trans , My best friend had a 79 Trans-Am 6.6 4-speed I could beat him every time from a dead stop but when he hit 3 gear he was gone :D
trans am's with the 6.6 was rated at 200hp, whether it was the pontiac 6.6 or the olds 403 6.6 were both dogs.

:2huh: Don't you mean, "torque is not always a result of displacement" :tongue:

Based on the stock numbers, the T'bird should win. It has more HP and torque than the 350 and they weight about the same.

I think it will boild down to off the line traction and the driver.

But just my non-drag racing .02. :thumbsup:
Even if he couldn't get a good launch in the TBird, it would still be over for the camaro by 2nd gear.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
nope, torque is not always a result of displacement... have you seen the torque figures on the SC 3.8 V6?

edit: corrected... lol give me a break, I just got up...
:rofl: You're on TCCoA and expecting a break.... :rofl: :rofl: :tongue: ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
my dads 79 Z28 back in the day had a built 400, 4 speed, and 3.73s. the only thing that could outrun him in the street racing days was like other built cars. jeez that was such a nice car

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts

Why?

yup last good v8 gm put out was the '71 454 until they started back up with a decent ls1 motor in the 90's

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
My 1994 Camaro Z28 350 LT1 Automatic totally Stock would blow the doors off my 1994 Tbird LX V8, with Chip, exhaust, and shift kit ... all day any day :rolleyes:

My father owned a 78 Trans am with the 6.6 .. I dont remember how fast it really was, that doesnt matter - the car was just plain badass with the shaker and huge firebird on the hood. :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts