TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Tbird 4.6L. After replacing the alternator with an Oreillys new and not remanufactured unit and a new Oreillys AC compressor my car eats one rib off the serpentine belt. I was pretty sure it was the alternator pulley so I ordered the correct alternator pulley from Rockauto.com. It is still eating belts? I did do the AC compressor around the same time but it is the alternator that the belt tracks too far forward on. Anyone else have a simular issue? I am guessing it's the Oreillys alternator but I figure I would check here first.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have a 96 Tbird 4.6L. After replacing the alternator with an Oreillys new and not remanufactured unit and a new Oreillys AC compressor my car eats one rib off the serpentine belt. I was pretty sure it was the alternator pulley so I ordered the correct alternator pulley from Rockauto.com. It is still eating belts? I did do the AC compressor around the same time but it is the alternator that the belt tracks too far forward on. Anyone else have a simular issue? I am guessing it's the Oreillys alternator but I figure I would check here first.
maybe the new alternator was cast a bit too long(incorrect)?

Also,

check all your other pulleys for play and wobble.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe the new alternator was cast a bit too long(incorrect)?

Also,

check all your other pulleys for play and wobble.

I replaced all the pulleys as well. I guess I should have posted that. The belt runs on the front of the alternator pulley. It's like the pulley needs to be spaced out an 1/8" or so. I am hoping someone bought a new Oreilly's alternator and had a simular problem. I would then just buy a different alternator. I just don't want to waste the money if the alternator is not the problem. It took me a little while to realize the belt was getting eating so I had returned the original as a core.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a way to compare it to the old one?

Stephen

I wish I did. I bought the car with a remanufactured unit on it. The battery light was on so I replaced it and used it for a core. I didn't notice a problem till the next time I opened the hood. I really thought they sold me the wrong belt since it was one rib short so I bought a new belt. And it happened again. I went back to Oreilly's and they said I should have kept my original pulley. That's why I bought the one from rockauto. I installed it with a new belt and it appears to sit out a little more. The car still eats belts. I just noticed that my power steering pulley has play in it and doesn't appear to line up. Now I am wondering if the power steering pulley got messed up from the non-Ford pulley and since it is now off it is my problem? The power steering pulley appears to be a press on type. The belt goes from the alternator to the power steering.

·
Registered
803 Posts
use a long straight edge to check alignment of the faces of the pulleys.
You might find the slignment problem.
A laser edge finder is useful too if you happen to have access.

r

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
use a long straight edge to check alignment of the faces of the pulleys.
You might find the slignment problem.
A laser edge finder is useful too if you happen to have access.

r
Yeah it has to be an alignment issue. I'm just not sure if it is a poorly made Oreillys alternator? Or maybe they sell more than one for the 4.6? And they sold me the wrong one? I guess I will pull the alternator a d take it back to Oreillys. I will have them pull another to compare. If they are the same I will try autozone.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Yeah it has to be an alignment issue. I'm just not sure if it is a poorly made Oreillys alternator? Or maybe they sell more than one for the 4.6? And they sold me the wrong one? I guess I will pull the alternator a d take it back to Oreillys. I will have them pull another to compare. If they are the same I will try autozone.
Try napa new alternators.(if you have a napa nearby). I never had an issue with them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did you replace the tensioner?
Yeah when I purchased the car it needed a waterpump. When I replaced that I installed a new tensoner and belt pulleys. It looks to me like the alternator sits a little to far back. The way it bolts in there is no adjustment. It's hard to tell by just eyeballing it. When the belt losses a rib the alternator is the only one with the gap at the back of the pulley. The rest of the accessories have the gap at the front of their pulley.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
If the alternator sits too far back, perhaps you could shim it forward using a washer? One time I made shims from bronze bushings to move an alternator underdrive pulley forward from the alternator case. It went on the shaft before the alternator pulley did. Just a tip too, always compare your alternator pulley to the new one before sending in the core. On reman units you may end up with a much different diameter or number of grooves. I've even recieved v belt pulleys when I needed serpentine pulleys on some older style ford remans.
-Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts