TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok i have a 96 thunderbird, automatic, original type tranmission. now here is the problem the rpms will shoot up to 2500-3000 for no reason, sometimes it seems to stick where you can not accelerate anymore then jolts into gear. ford said it is an internal tranmission problem but it only has 50000 miles(not that it matters but still) any ideas besides a new transmission with what may be causing the problem?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Well

How is the shifting of the car, does it act wierd when shifting?

Check the tranny fluid first, this will tell you if you need a rebuild.

I doubt you need a rebuild, it's something more simple.

Beirutsfinest

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sounds like your low on fluid, go to an auto store and try this stuff called Sea Foam trans tune. It's good stuff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
normally it shifts great, just when the problem occurs the rpms shoot up to 2500-3000 cant go any faster at that point and the shoots into gear fluid level is fine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does this happen in 4th gear? While cruising? If so the problem is with the Manual Lever Position Lever Sensor. This sensor tells the computer what gear you have shifted to. These are notorious for going bad. My car felt like it would just slip out of gear while cruising in 4th gear. If it goes bad the computer can't tell what gear the tranny is in and resets, making the tranny go into neutral. I found out about this sensor and decided to replace it.(Only Ford seems to carry it for about $80). It's located on the driver's side. A few hours of work but well worth it. My car has never run and shifted better!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
hey guys thanks for all your help, i just had the new upgraded 1-2 accumulator put in as well as MLPS and BOOM the problem is fixed for $200 vs. $2000 that ford wanted!!!!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts