TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to drain the coolant to change temperature sensor, sender and thermostat. I have unscrewed the petcock almost an inch and only getting drops of coolant. It won't unscrew anymore. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
Remove the lower hose and let it gush out there.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
It has to drain down some.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
16,808 Posts
It has to drain down some.

RwP
Look at where they are on a 4.6, they’re at the highest point in the cooling system, just higher than the full/cold mark on the reservoir. There will be some coolant in the upper hose but as long as you tilt it up very little if any coolant will spill out, and none will erupt out from the crossover. I’ve done both before

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
Look at where they are on a 4.6, they’re at the highest point in the cooling system, just higher than the full/cold mark on the reservoir. There will be some coolant in the upper hose but as long as you tilt it up very little if any coolant will spill out, and none will erupt out from the crossover. I’ve done both before
That's better than on the 5.0 or my Dakota's 3.9; there's about 1/4 or so of the radiator above the thermostat housing.

RwP

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Always a good time to flush out the coolant, especially when its clogging the drain. Sometimes you need to remove the plug completely to get it to drain. ( and open up a vent, like the coolant overflow cap .. it may not drain without a vent )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts