TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve searched the forums, tried solutions to anything remotely close to sounding like my issue, and I’m having no luck.

So we bought our first Thunderbird! Test drove it, loved it, car seemed to be mechanically sound. Well less than an hour into owning it the car decided it doesn’t want to start. After 9 hours trying anything we read about online (mostly here), we had no success what so ever.

All systems turn on; radio, lights, the fan, windows will work, everything. You go to crank it, and nothing happens. Just like if it was a dead starter, but that’s not the issue. The “Alarm” light in the dash blinks when you open the door, or try to crank it.

This car was sold to us without a key fob remote to arm/disarm the anti theft system, but it started, and drove perfectly fine. We’re clueless as to what is going on, and believe me, we’re heartbroken the car we were excited about is giving us trouble like this right after we laid for it... and the hefty towing fee didn’t help either.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. We worked our behinds off to buy this car, and this has been a nightmare so far.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
If you disconnect the alarm module it should disable to alarm. It is in the trunk, behind the carpet on the left. You have to remove a few push connectors, a plastic tray comes out that the module is attached to. You will find two modules, one is for keyless entry the other is the alarm. You can also get a new/used keyfob and reprogram it when you are in there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you disconnect the alarm module it should disable to alarm. It is in the trunk, behind the carpet on the left. You have to remove a few push connectors, a plastic tray comes out that the module is attached to. You will find two modules, one is for keyless entry the other is the alarm. You can also get a new/used keyfob and reprogram it when you are in there.
I disconnected all the alarm stuff back there. Still nothing :(

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
The factory alarm can be disabled by locking the driver's door with the key, then unlocking it.

·
Administrator
8,059 Posts
First, welcome to the Forums! :)

Have you tried contacting the previous owner? Maybe they might know what's going on, if not I would want my money back. And make them pay for that tow!

Joe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the original owner ghosted us. Total scum bag move, but what can you do?

Got the car started. Turned out it was two messed up ignition wires under the steering column cover. Jerry rigged it for now, haven’t had any starting problems.

The new issue to tackle is going to be this loud humming noise that starts from the engine bay randomly, and goes away if you rev the gas a bit.

We’re not giving up on this car. We want to make it our daily with some hard work, and determination! Glad I made an account here cause I’m sure I’ll need help :)

·
Super Moderator
9,318 Posts
The new issue to tackle is going to be this loud humming noise that starts from the engine bay randomly, and goes away if you rev the gas a bit.
Probably the IAC valve and/or resonator box, based on your brief description. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
The humming is pretty common; my Tbird does it when it's cold.

The IAC is exciting the air intake into resonance; that's variously called the moose call or Goose call. :)

There's a box inline with the IAC, which had foam in it originally, and it's probably long gone.

If you replace it, use a gasoline compatible foam, like they sell for lawn mower or dirt bike applications, and stuff it in the box thru the lines.

Replacing the TAC may help, but it's not guaranteed.

Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and i'm throwing a P1131 code now :,)

Car runs fine, but idles a bit rough at a stop sign, or in park. There's a smell coming from it that smells like a lean/rich gas issue......... We're still not giving up. We wanted a Tbird, we're gonna make this car a reliable daily. I mean, it's driving great as it is, but that code isn't gonna help us pass smog here in California.

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
Start with the easy stuff.

Search for vacuum leaks. Any piece of original tubing is leaking.

Make sure there are no exhaust leaks.

Look at the evap components in front of the air filter, under the nose.

Replace all the pieces of vacuum hose that go to the throttle body, unless they're new.

Get something to datalog with; it makes troubleshooting much easier.

All the bold terms are search items; there are threads here that tell where all those parts are.

Here's a nice writeup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
i had a issue when my tbird would not turn over to start. so i got under it and took a hammer to the starter, and hit it a few times, and it started. each time i shut it down. i needed to do this every time i needed to start it. so i replaced the starter. and fixed the proublem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts