TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some search and found a thread on differences in engine, but not whole car.
My question is: what's the differences in the whole car between 96 & 97?
My situation: Northern cancer has destroyed my 97 cougar, I'm now in the south. I found a 96 in Chesapeake, VA that is very clean underneath, not much to look at elsewhere. I'm thinking of possibly using my 97 as a parts car for the 96. Can ya'll offer some guidance? Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I believe the difference between 96 & 97 are primarily cosmetic (i.e. difference gauge cluster, center console (hvac tube)). I believe some if not all 97's came with aluminum crossover on intake. My 96 has the aluminum crossover, but I don't know if that's because previous owner had it corrected.

Did some search and found a thread on differences in engine, but not whole car.
My question is: what's the differences in the whole car between 96 & 97?
My situation: Northern cancer has destroyed my 97 cougar, I'm now in the south. I found a 96 in Chesapeake, VA that is very clean underneath, not much to look at elsewhere. I'm thinking of possibly using my 97 as a parts car for the 96. Can ya'll offer some guidance? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,172 Posts
The EEC and Dash wiring harnesses are specific to year due to a different connector design coupling the two together. Also the premium sound wiring and amplifier harness is all contained within the dash on 97s, while the 96 ran a large harness to the rear deck, which housed the amplifier in a plastic tray.

If the car(s) are a sport the 97 will have the larger Mark VIII brakes, 16" wheels, and rear wing in addition to the JJJJ/JJEE springs and sport shocks, period. 96s are only guaranteed the springs and shocks, the sport exterior dressup was changed mid year in 96 from having a luggage rack and faux 15" BBS wheels to the 7 spokes and spoiler, and the brake upgrade only made it on towards the end of the model year (none with the 15" wheels obviously)

Interiors were basically identical except for the aeformentioned instrument cluster(and gauge surround), cup holder center console assembly and the ash tray, with no cubby or VMM option(since the cup holders do the job of the former and the new cluster the latter). If the car(s) have traction assist the button is under the console lid on the 97 rather than on the no longer available VMM. If the interiors are tan the shades are completely different, all other colors (grey, green, blue) are basically unchanged between years.

Lastly the 97s only use 1 key for the doors, trunk and ignition, rather than the separate one used in all years prior. 97s also deleted the interior trunk lock for a plain button, and did away with the glove box lock, as well as the shock.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
The interior trunk lock on the 96 was pretty rare, wasn't it? I have only seen it on the 94-95's.

Kidd-7: is the car a green one? Looks pretty nice, good luck with it. You are right up the road from me!

Al

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
My 96 Cougar has the locking trunk button in the center console.

The 97 was more likely to have the manual drivers seat than any other MN12 (in my experience). The door marker went from lighted (red/clear) in 96 to non-lighted (solid red) in 97.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is the green one, I was Chesapeake last weekend visiting family. The owner was out of town so I was only able to look it over. The clear coat is peeling and paint is faded, the interior is a work car. My interior is good, though. So if it works out I have to part mine out anyway, I'll transfer my seats, door panels, etc. over. If the owner is back home this weekend I plan to drive up and test drive and hopefully bring her home.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
My 96 Cougar has the locking trunk button in the center console.

The 97 was more likely to have the manual drivers seat than any other MN12 (in my experience). The door marker went from lighted (red/clear) in 96 to non-lighted (solid red) in 97.
Yeah, they sure cheaped it out on the '97's as far as options go. Per the post above, I had to check my car at lunch - I have had it a year and did not realize it didn't have a glove box lock!

95's rule for options! I can count at least 8 things that my 95 had that my 97 doesn't have. But I am about to put trak-lok in, (which my 95 didn't have) so that will help even it out a little.

Al

·
Super Moderator
10,772 Posts
My Cougars have killer stock options; Lazarus has the handling package and moonroof, but it's not a sport. Way better handling than the others, and a TL rear.

The Tbird is pretty sparse, lol. It Does have the spoiler and third light delete from the factory.

But that's about it. :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
With these cars 1997, to me, was the use up the excess inventory year. run out of something, make do without it. T-Bird lost the little feet in the logo midway through 1997 when they ran out of the plastic inserts.

To be fair, both are the final evolution of the MN12 platform, you get some nice tweaks to the chassis, for example the nose on the 1996/1997 allows for a better intake to be swapped on compared to the 1995 and earlier. You also get the clear lens headlights. Either year is a good choice to go with, the differences are superficial other than the gauge cluster. Just don't get a 1997 sunroof car. The seal is no longer made, and the car uses a different design than the 1996.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I oughtta keep an eye out for an nos moonroof seal for my 97 then... It leaks a little bit just enough to dampen the headliner around the edges of the opening.
moonshiner180: I'm going to part out my 97; I can save the seal for you if you like. My sunroof has never leaked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts