TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to help save a bird. Co-worker has a 96 that drives fine when trans is cold, but once it's fully hot it looses forward movement. Reverse works no matter what. Is this thing toast or is there something I can do w/o replacing the entire trans.

If it needs a trans then it will most likely be scrapped. Trying to talk him out of it since it's a V8 car, lol...

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,367 Posts
Sounds like the forward clutch is shot. Most probably caused by all the friction material getting cooked off because the trans fluid wasn't changed at regular intervals.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Put a BIG tranny cooler and RUN IT! lol

:zdunno:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yep, you'll pull that forward drum apart and all the material will be gone, or all crumpled up and icky. and i'm sure the pan will be black as night.

give her a fluid/filter change and cross your fingers, but i wouldn't hold your breath.... or at least drop the pan and look on in horror at the mess cut your losses and replace the whole lump.

I'd say its 98+ swap time :D

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a feeling it was the clutches but thought I'd verify. Unfortunately it will most likely NOT be getting a used trans installed. He's tired of it nickel and diming him to death and would rather get his old Ranger back on the road at this point. It's not a DD anymore as this was his soon-to-be wife's DD, and she just bought a new Jeep Patriot to replace it.

I just installed a new intake on it last year, changed the trans. fluid/filter to get rid of the shudder (which it did), and he had new cats put on recently since they clogged.

With the other small issues it still has this will surely push it over the edge. Maybe I can convince him to sell it here as-is vs. scrapping it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts