TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
96 Tranny Vs 95 Tranny

Ok i went to the junk yard today and picked up a tranny from a 96 Tbird, I have a 95 Tbird. Will the tranny i bought work?
The wiring looks the same but the Starter mount has 2 holes and mine has 3 holes.
also anyone have any tips on getting the Drivers side nut on the Exhaust Manifold to Pipe flange off? Its facing up where the other 3 are facing down and very easy to get. This has been pissing me off for a long time and i cant do anything further til it comes off.

Any help is appreciated.
Allan
[email protected]

·
Registered
809 Posts
I think I used a 3 foot extension and a air ratchet or impact and went in through the engine bay, it may help if some one is under the car to guide the socket on for you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If the trans you found has a 2 bolt starter then you may have a 4R70W for a 3.8L engine which will not bolt to your 4.6L if that's what you have.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Some time... I think in 94 all the 4R70W started to have the three bolt starter.
The same thing happened with the T-45 but I don't know what year. I think a 2 bolt starter will fit on a three bolt bell housing you just leave out 1 bolt.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scott said:
I think I used a 3 foot extension and a air ratchet or impact and went in through the engine bay, it may help if some one is under the car to guide the socket on for you.

Ive got about 1foot 3inch worth of extention on it and it wont go on the bolt the strut tower seems to be in the way. If i just had a wobbly socket or adapter it would be ok. But im poor and cant go buy one.
Why does ford have to be difficult and put 1 bolt out of 4 ont he opposite side. it would be perfectly fine and easy to get off if it was on the bottom liek the others.
Not that it matters tho cuz i dont have the right tranny.
The Tranny i got must be from a 96 3.8 car. Plus the starter bolts are in 2 different places than on the 4.6 so the starter might bolt up but it would be angled wrong and prolly wouldnt fit. im gonna call the stupid *** ghetto junkyard i got it from on monday and get my money back. They better come pick the thing up too cuz I have no CAR to drive the 100 mile round trip to bring it to them.
Hopefully ill have something figured out to get my car moving sometime this week.
If i have to ill take it back to the tranny shop and let them do a Overhaul.

Thanks for the Input.

Allan,
[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts