TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally the 95 to 97 transplant is seeing the light of day.

New found power with the 97 Cougar. After a really long wait from Fchip my EEC came in and the car was ready for the dyno. I am glad I did because she was really lean.

Went over to Second Street Speed for a Dyno tune to make her drivable. I tell you one thing Lon at Second Street Speed knows EEC's! It was remarkable how he knew exactly what to tell me to change on the EEC tuner and how the Cat obeyed him. For example he said lets put these numbers in the WOT trim to get an AF ratio of 12. Bam, he hit the numbers on the first try.

Now I have 225 HP at 311.7 Ft-lbs! Here is the dyno:

Thanks Lon!

It is true that I have some adjusting to do but the hard stuff is behind me.

By the way he makes a nice set of adjustable roller rocker arms for the Modular motor for some of the fast guys out there. Check out the article in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Yeah, in this month's issue, they had an article in there about a guy who put a 5.4 in a Mustang. He made some good power and torque figures. Then, I thought about you and V8Thunder who tried this years ago. Funny how, much like the original hot rodders, MN12 guys don't have an aftermarket to hold their hand so they figure stuff out long before the mainstream crowd. So many guys on this site have done amazing stuff with just research, determination, patience, and skill.

Good numbers, man. Glad to hear it's running well again.

Pete

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Pete,

heard that...The GT guys at the corral are still debating using the LMAF or a Pro-M..we figure it out and do it early..I.E. PI heads and Bullitt manifold. BTW, how much longer are you at the Academy? Will you get a pilot slot?

joseph

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Obucina,

At least they are debating Pro-M vs LMAF and still not trying to port the MAF. LOL, so you can say they are making some progress.

I have 2 semesters left at The Academy and still have the clinic's blessing for pilot qualification. All the medical requirements are go, so hopefully, I'll be going to flight school in the spring, and I should know if I have a pilot slot around Christmas.

Pete

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
ah yes fun with the med people...a few years ago i had to take my DODMERB and ran into a problem with the break point convergance vision test, they found that my right eye didnt break away when my left one did. I was medically qualified to be an officer but didnt get medically qualified to be a pilot my sitting height was 1.75 inches to short even though im almost 6 foot. Had to leave ROTC(long story) but my friend had fun trying to explain his ACL scar to the Med Squardon at Patrick AFB.

joseph

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Don't want to steal the post...check your PM.

Pete

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
John,what are you considering lean?
12:1 is a rich a/f for a N/A motor...especially a modular.
JL

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That reminds me, when I was researching if I wanted to put my old KVR dual piston rotors in my 97 with sport brakes or keep it as is, I went over to the LOD web site. There were people there who actually said that you could not cut cross-drilled rotors. I held back because I did not have a password and the post was old.

Imagine that, I must have cut my c-drilled rotors four (4) times before they were too thin.

V8 was the 1st. I learned from him and did my own thing. Installing a 5.4L is starting to become old hat for me.

Thanks for the complements.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Johnny Langton said:
John,what are you considering lean?
12:1 is a rich a/f for a N/A motor...especially a modular.
JL
JL,
With the EEC she was running at 18:1. If I did not resist the temptation to cut her loose I could have lost her.

It is true that 12:1 is rich for a 4.6L but a 5.4L is a stroked 4.6L and she gets the most HP running at 12:1 on WOT with the TQ locked up. Over the years I must have been on the dyno 20 times. I started at 13.5:1 and worked my way down until the HP started dropping off. The best WOT for my motor was 12:1.

Please note that when the TQ is unlocked she runs a little leaner. If I remember correctly at idle she was at 14-15:1 (I do not remember the exact numbers but I let Lon pick them) and averaged around 13 at part throttle. But when I stomp on her the gas needle drops...

·
3,232 Posts
At idle the O2 sensors correct to keep a stoich a/f of 14.64:1-that's normal.
Combustion chamber efficiency(design)determines the ideal a/f for a particular engine-not the stroke or bore. 12:1 leaves a substantial amount of hp/tq on the table.
I'm not just talking about 4.6L's either..I've seen 5.4L N/A trucks on the dyno make alot more power going to a good solid 12.8-13.0:1 a/f.
The WOT fuel multipier is not a good method to adjust WOT A/F when you can just adjust the fuel tables and do it right.
True-18:1 is way lean...but it's so lean that there isn't enough fuel there to damage anything-you'll just be so down on power it'll be pitiful.The dangerous area is from 13.7:1-15.7:1...there's enough fuel there to make it dangerous.
JL

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We did adjust the fuel tables. That was an example. If you have EEC tuner I can e-mail you a copy for review? I will look into any suggestions...

I wish we can get more power. I have been at three Speed Shops and "the Man" was at one of them. I really think I have reached the limit of my set-up. My compression ratio is too high and my intake is too small, not to mention lop sided. If I put less fuel in her she knocks and I loose power.

For the record, Lon did not like the low AF ratio I proposed. He said the same thing you did. But after some tuning we ended up rich. I need a real intake to reach the full potential of my motor...

·
3,232 Posts
What's your CR? You may need to pull a degree or two of timing to kep down spark knock,and then get a/f where it needs to be.
I agree on the intake thing..you need a better one.
JL

·
Registered
425 Posts
BIG PETE said:
Yeah, in this month's issue, they had an article in there about a guy who put a 5.4 in a Mustang. He made some good power and torque figures. Then, I thought about you and V8Thunder who tried this years ago. Funny how, much like the original hot rodders, MN12 guys don't have an aftermarket to hold their hand so they figure stuff out long before the mainstream crowd. So many guys on this site have done amazing stuff with just research, determination, patience, and skill.

Good numbers, man. Glad to hear it's running well again.

Pete
Yeah, I saw that too, 299rwhp - 358 ft/lbs

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Johnny Langton said:
What's your CR? You may need to pull a degree or two of timing to kep down spark knock,and then get a/f where it needs to be.
JL
I have mildly polished PI heads on a stock 99 non-PI 5.4L motor. Somewhere between 10 and 11:1. I tried all angles. Until I get off my lazy behind and buy a real intake I will most likely not see normal AF ratios. But when I do those 30#ers will finally get some exercise.

Maybe I will visit Crazy Horse when I get my new intake. They are less than 45 mins from me....

Originally posted by mercoug302
299rwhp - 358 ft/lbs
I rushed out and bought that Mag because SSS was in it and I read that article. I will tell you one thing. It is much easier to put a 5.4L into a Mustang than a Cougar! You call that an effort! I had to make and have others make parts for me.

When will they see, V8Thunder made 300 HP years ago. His motor is close to mine except he has a real intake, custom cams and ported heads. However, from what I learned he has broken the 300 HP limit with some radical custom changes.

When will the Thunderbirds and Cougars get their day?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
they will get there day when people finally relize they are better then stangs

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
When will the Thunderbirds and Cougars get their day?
they will get there day when people finally relize they are better then stangs
Unfortunately we have a dying breed so it is very likely these cars will never get their day!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
or they will be noticed as they are dieing and people will buy them like crazy for more then they are worth

1 - 18 of 18 Posts