TCCoA Forums banner

181 - 200 of 203 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Is the 99-04 mustang gt rack any improvement over the stock rack? Trying to find an SRP-ZM rack but that is proving difficult. Mike

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,073 Posts
Hard to say, the SPR ZM makes a difference in feel and feedback but not night and day a difference, the GT rack is likely somewhere in between. There are the same other technical improvements though, like the helical cut gears, which seem to have less slop, and you can still probably find a few low mile salvage take offs without rolling the dice on reman quality

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ponied up for the Cobra hubs, I assume?

Car looks really nice. I wish I had the time and space to do that.

·
Super Moderator
5,284 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
I may need to pick a few of those up for my 1991 ...

RwP
Yes they look really nice. The color is more like the maroon in the b pillar emblem than the red it looks in the pic. I'm sure he can do any color you'd want.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
I did end up getting an SPR-ZM rack off ebay. It has some miles on it but I'm going to rebuild it before installing.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Main component that makes the rack special is the spool valve/pinion assembly, so if If the rack housing has severe groove wear from miles you can swap the guts into any regular one if it comes to it

That's going to be the plan if necessary.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Finally got my rack rebuilt. The ZM I bought ended up being a ZK. I had bought a low mileage ZK rack before I found the "ZM" well the ZK ended up being an SJ. I had read about the ZM Cobra rack having a .230" torsion bar. I took both the ZK and SJ racks apart and they both have .230" bars in them. I couldn't tell any differences between the two racks. So now I'm wondering what might actually be different on the Cobra racks? Maybe the valving? Any way I ended up rebuilding the SJ it had low miles and was super clean. If I ever come across an actual ZM I'll take it apart and see what's up. I'm going to take the rack out of the 94 apart and see what's in that one.

20201117_173208.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,073 Posts
Interesting, it must be the valving. I do remember hearing somewhere the Mach 1s used the same T bar, but sort of like the .62 overdrive transmissions they were also used in 03/04 GTs so maybe that’s the case there.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Yea everything I read made it sound like the ZM had a larger bar but I saw no actual sizes of the different rack t-bars.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
This followed me home yesterday.

20201122_115206.jpg

20201122_154922.jpg

So I finally have a good front bumper cover. I'm going to pull the rear bumper, side mouldings, quarter windows and guage cluster trim piece and part the rest. It's very rusty underneath (sat in a yard for some time) It's only got 108,000 miles and runs very well. v8,abs,traction control and cd player

·
Super Moderator
7,802 Posts
How much for all the roof and windshield moldings shipped to 07724?

·
Super Moderator
7,802 Posts
The trim pieces that go along both sides of the roof and separate the roof from the quarter panels and the tops of the doors. Those pieces will be body colored, and then there are also 2 black pieces that go up the A pillar and across the top of the windshield.

181 - 200 of 203 Posts