TCCoA Forums banner

221 - 239 of 239 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Ah! That auto-dim would be nice!

(Heat isn't a bad idea here; I drive my vehicles 365 days a year it seems like.)

RwP

I think the Mark glass will fit in the MN housings just fine if you wanted to go that route. I also wanted the sleeker housings.

·
Super Moderator
5,358 Posts
I may have to try that, and run the wiring down from the inside mirror to the door mirrors.

Not 100% sure the inside mirror will do that (note: It's a Nissan numbered part from the same company that made the Ford part ... )

RwP

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
I may have to try that, and run the wiring down from the inside mirror to the door mirrors.

Not 100% sure the inside mirror will do that (note: It's a Nissan numbered part from the same company that made the Ford part ... )

RwP

Yea I'm not 100% sure on the stock inside dimming mirror either. I did pick up a Mark mirror just in case. It only dims on the drivers side, which is the worst offender.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,904 Posts
I had issues with the autodimming side mirror on my 96 having the fluid go bad (turning brown). I found one that was "mostly clear" used, but after a year or so it was noticeably darker. Do you have a source for new/less browned mirrors, or perhaps another solution? It's a moot point on my part since I don't have the 96 anymore, but I'm still curious. :)

The inside mirror being electrochromic is an option on the FN10s as well (can't remember if it's standard or not - my 98 has it but no dimming side mirror; my 96 had it but also the side dimming mirror - so I am thinking the autodimming side mirror requires the autodimming rearview mirror for its light sensor) The cars are prewired for it regardless of whether the mirror has it.

·
Super Moderator
5,358 Posts
The generic Gentec unit that Ford and Nissan bought to put in their cars offers dimming external mirrors as an output (it's a 7 pin connector we use 3 of; only 2 actually needed.)

Found it!

It also offers the temp sensor, if your mirror is so equipped.

RwP

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
I had issues with the autodimming side mirror on my 96 having the fluid go bad (turning brown). I found one that was "mostly clear" used, but after a year or so it was noticeably darker. Do you have a source for new/less browned mirrors, or perhaps another solution? It's a moot point on my part since I don't have the 96 anymore, but I'm still curious. :)

Unfortunately no source, have to find good used. I know a year or two ago you could still get new from Ford. I wish I would have picked one up.

The inside mirror being electrochromic is an option on the FN10s as well (can't remember if it's standard or not - my 98 has it but no dimming side mirror; my 96 had it but also the side dimming mirror - so I am thinking the autodimming side mirror requires the autodimming rearview mirror for its light sensor) The cars are prewired for it regardless of whether the mirror has it.
Yes you have to have the interior auto dim for the side to work. Not all Marks have the side dimming mirror.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
So I'm keeping the keyless entry keypad from the 94 but I wanted to paint it white. I don't think the black would look very good with the white door handles on the 97. The MN12 housing is textured plastic, not super thrilled about that. I discovered mid to late 90's Explorers have the same switch function and are body colored. The one thing I didn't think about is there's no depth in the doors and the Exp pad is deeper and doesn't fit because of depth. The pins that retain the pads push out very easily.

20210106_170442.jpg

20210106_170501.jpg

The nice thing is they are metal. I pulled my plastic one back out and discovered it's falling apart (not suprised)

20210106_175544.jpg

So I sanded the Exp housing down to match the MN12 and redrilled the holes for the 3 pins that retain the keypad.

20210106_175522.jpg

20210106_175452.jpg

So now I have a nice easy to paint metal housing and I'll resilicone around the pins after I paint and reassemble it. I also have a housing that shouldn't ever break again.

20210106_175512.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,334 Posts
I never knew the explorer ones were metal, there were metal ones with chrome plating used on 90s town cars but they are the same depth as the MN12 ones.

good choice, I like the function of the keypad but I don’t like how it looks(I’d really like to find a rust free door without it) but body color would be a huge improvement, I might just copy you 😁

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
I never knew the explorer ones were metal, there were metal ones with chrome plating used on 90s town cars but they are the same depth as the MN12 ones.

good choice, I like the function of the keypad but I don’t like how it looks(I’d really like to find a rust free door without it) but body color would be a huge improvement, I might just copy you 😁

The black doesn't look so bad with the 94 black door handles. I don't think it fits in as well on the 96-7 cars. I do like having it. When I put the 06 cab on my truck it has it and I use it all the time. I was wanting to install it with the redo, so this worked out well.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I thought hardly any of the 96-97's have keypad, or do they? Can't be many 97's, they don't have any options.

Al

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
I thought hardly any of the 96-97's have keyless, or do they? Can't be many 97's, they don't have any options.

Al

They have keyless entry (key fob) but don't have the keypad. I've added several older options the 96-7's didn't come with.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Q: Do these keypads still work after so many years and tens of thousands of presses?
-g

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,334 Posts
The only thing that really goes bad on them from wear and tear is the lettering where the black containing the numbering fades off to the white base. They're very simple momentary switches, encased in epoxy so there's not much to fail.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Hey Matt is there a way to find the code for my 97 keyless box? If I remember correctly there's a couple wiring differences between the 94 and 97. If there's an issue with the 94 I can use my 97 then.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
I'll have to take a look. I don't remember seeing it but I wasn't expecting it either.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I said keyless, but I meant keypad. So, you're saying no 96-97's have keypad, correct?

After owning my 95 for 15 years, the keypad got a little harder to use, seemed to have more "errors". Though it may have been user error since it only got used 10 times a year. It doesn't make any sense to use it as your main source of unlocking the car, can't go anywhere without the keys.

Al

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
I said keyless, but I meant keypad. So, you're saying no 96-97's have keypad, correct?

After owning my 95 for 15 years, the keypad got a little harder to use, seemed to have more "errors". Though it may have been user error since it only got used 10 times a year. It doesn't make any sense to use it as your main source of unlocking the car, can't go anywhere without the keys.

Al

Correct no keypad 96/7. I very rarely use the pad if I'm going somewhere. I do find myself needing to get in the car for one reason or another and not having the keys with me.

221 - 239 of 239 Posts