TCCoA Forums banner
661 - 674 of 674 Posts

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #661 ·
Okay, I put off mentioning these issues until I had them fixed (hopefully). On the way back from Carlisle while getting gas I looked under the hood and there was a fine mist of grease sprayed on the front of the engine and the alternator had rubber dust on the front of the case. What I think happened was the overrunning clutch on the alternator spit out some grease and it got on the water pump pulley and caused the belt to slip some.

The next thing was the front QA1 that had a small leak (was going to get warrantied after the show) decided it was time to start leaking for real. That didn't cause any real issues other than a big mess of oil under and on the back of the car. I had a vibration upper 70's mph and higher which I ran into a few times. I think because of that the pinion started leaking again worse then before. So because of the grease, belt rubber and vibration I kept to a max of 70 the last 6 hrs of the trip and made it home okay.

The engine started leaking oil, it looked like some of it was the drain plug and it looked like it was also leaking at the right rear corner of the oil pan and was getting worse. The Monday after the show I put the original pulley back on the alt and replaced the belt. That seems to be fixed. I got the shock swapped out and warrantied and the new one looks good so far. I put the car up on the lift last weekend and pulled the driveshaft and diff. I got a new 3.5" aluminum shaft made and went thru the diff and replaced all the bearings and seals. Since I had the car on the lift I decided to pull the trans and check the rear main seal plate to see if it was the cause of the leak. It looked like it may have been leaking at the lower right corner so I removed it cleaned everything up and resealed. The drain plug did end up being part of the leaks so I replaced that also. I got the car back together this weekend and took it out and ran it up over 90 and didn't have any vibrating and it does seem smoother just driving around (may just be wishful thinking) I probably would have gotten a 4" shaft but it wouldn't have fit without some modifying of the tunnel. I put about 25 miles on it driving home and so far there doesn't seem to be any fluids puking out anywhere 🤞 So that's the whole tale of my Ford nationals trip. Had a blast and may go again (without the car problems hopefully)

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #663 ·
Yeah it could have been worse. Was just a little stressful 6hrs from home. I've heard that about the QA1's also but as you say beggars can't be choosers and I wanted better shocks than what is available as replacements, we'll see how they go.

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,589 Posts
I wonder if Bill were to sell his upper and lower mount set-up without shocks, if one could buy Ride Tech or other. Not sure if he'd do that tho. I do think there is a company that's known to make those for him tho

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #665 ·
I bought the brackets separately from Bill. I figure if I have too many issues with these I'll look into something else.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #668 ·
Got the upright attached to the base.

I think I will end up remaking the base plate. I need to add more material to the front edge. I'm going to cut the hole in the plate to fit the rubber Mustang snorkel.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #672 ·
On mine it hits the ac lines and the ccrm without a mount. Can't have that.

661 - 674 of 674 Posts