TCCoA Forums banner

121 - 140 of 186 Posts

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I'm actually not sure about the upper mounts but I did see some plastic fasteners on the underside. I would love it if they used tape on them but knowing my luck probably not (they probably drilled some extra holes just for me lol)

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Nothing but the best for me :ROFLMAO: I also need another 96-7 front bumper cover thanks to a chunk of something on rt88 :mad: I'll see if I can borrow the airplane scales from work when I go to put this back together and check it before I put anything back on it.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,352 Posts
Any chance of restoring the pictures from earlier in the thread?

Joe

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
And the best part about this body is it's a rust free 52,000 mi car and one of the nuts on the rear cradle still broke loose. I can't imagine trying to take a rusty one of these apart.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,955 Posts
And the best part about this body is it's a rust free 52,000 mi car and one of the nuts on the rear cradle still broke loose. I can't imagine trying to take a rusty one of these apart.
The question is did it not want to spin out of the captured nut in the body or the IRS bushing? Mine's midwest rust free, which is to say it's a California rustbucket but I got the remains of the two bolts that snapped to spin out from the nuts.

I'm sure it would have cost Ford 9 cents extra per car but they should have used thicker bolts with a much larger head. It's crazy to me they even make a 12mm diameter bolt with an only 3mm bigger head

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
The bolts are all free spinning. it was the nut that spun in the frame.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Everybody should have one :D :cool:

20200905_162929.jpg

Plus it makes much easier to deal with the spinning nut.

20200905_163337.jpg

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
What’s that round thing in the front apron where the battery would normally sit over?

I'm not sure, some kind of air intake. There's a steel channel welded diagonally from the core support to the fender well that had an oil cooler hanging on it on that side also. You can see the two perforated angles welded between the bumper and lower core support that I assume had a cooler of some sort mounted on them. I'll get that all cut off tomorrow and hopefully that will be the last of the hacks to remove. then I get to start welding up a bunch of holes. I'm going to pull that wheel well panel out of my car and swap it. I want to get this back to stock and as decent looking as possible.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
What's a 3.27 traction lock pumpkin going for nowadays? Since I finally got it pulled out of this car I can get rid of it now.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,955 Posts
Yeah I noticed the GFX holes, bummer. It’s the right way to mount them but even if I liked how they looked I’d be too disturbed by the prospect of drilling into a body that nice

I forgot for a minute this shell had the 3.8 SC in it, intercooler pipe passage makes sense.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
It might very well be. There's a bunch of "interesting " mods on this car.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Found another good reason for getting the new body for my 97

20200920_125548.jpg

It looks like there's about half the spot welds on that seam compared to the 94. I'm thinking of adding some welds in between the spot welds on the inside and outside of that seam.

121 - 140 of 186 Posts