TCCoA Forums banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,262 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Are the spot welds still intact ? If so, adding more welds will only further fatigue the surrounding sheet metal which i suspect is stretched thinner in this area during the stamping process.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
The way that is cracked is from movement between the spot welds. Granted there are fewer on the 97, there's actually a gap between the overlapping seam on that at the moment. That's a bad place to have a seam especially if you have faulty spot welds.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,957 Posts
Times like this I miss the forum being more populated, as I now wonder what years the firewall cracking anecdotes are most attached to, or if it is just inconclusive. Mine’s a 94 and there are no stress cracks, even with 10 years of stiff springs/shocks and two hard shifting transmissions.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Times like this I miss the forum being more populated, as I now wonder what years the firewall cracking anecdotes are most attached to, or if it is just inconclusive. Mine’s a 94 and there are no stress cracks, even with 10 years of stiff springs/shocks and two hard shifting transmissions.

Gives me hope since my new body is a 94

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
I have never seen the firewall crack like that before. All the ones I saw cracked around where the firewall meets the trans tunnel.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Got all the holes welded up and some all metal on them.

20200927_172120.jpg

I ended up removing all of the caulk from the external seams. It all was starting to crack. I should be spraying some epoxy primer on the roof next weekend.

20200927_172128.jpg

20200927_172144.jpg

Also got the sub frame nut fixed and welded back together.

20200927_172234.jpg

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #152 (Edited)
I was looking for some gloss black wheels with machined spokes and rim of some sort to keep the 30th anny vibe going but I couldn't find any I really liked so I ended up with these in gloss black.

20201002_115905.jpg

20201002_115912.jpg

The wheels are 18x9 +35mm and the tires are 255/45/18. These are just a hair taller then stock but I think it will work out really well since I'm only dropping it 3/4"-1". I do need to do something about those center caps though lol.

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
I do need to do something about those center caps though lol.
Send a PM to ClintD. He makes custom center cap decals, and can make pretty much anything you want for them.

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,694 Posts
X2. Very happy with the decals I have from Clint. They are holding up very well and are very professional looking/feeling.

·
Super Moderator
13,029 Posts
I saw that crown and the first thing that popped to mind was the Latin Kings .... don't ask me why. :zshrug:

Anyway, amazing work! Can't wait to see it come together.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
I saw that crown and the first thing that popped to mind was the Latin Kings .... don't ask me why. :zshrug:

Anyway, amazing work! Can't wait to see it come together.

I thought the same thing. Thanks

141 - 160 of 186 Posts