TCCoA Forums banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Clints working on something similar to the 30th anny emblems on the sail panel for my center caps. I got some epoxy on the roof today.

20201003_174128.jpg

Also put some new sound deadener on the roof since the factory cardboard looking stuff was laying on the headliner when I removed it. It definitely helped.

20201003_155419.jpg

·
Registered
386 Posts
Are you using anything special for sound deadener? I'm hoping to find something that works for both sound and heat. I'm currently removing the hard rubber stuff from under the carpet.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Are you using anything special for sound deadener? I'm hoping to find something that works for both sound and heat. I'm currently removing the hard rubber stuff from under the carpet.
This is the stuff I'm using. Summit Racing® Ultra Heat Barrier and Sound Deadening Mats SUM-879020

You want to make sure any you get is butyl rubber (which this is) especially if putting overhead because the other stuff can end up dripping. I believe they have different thicknesses also. I would probably put something a little thicker on the floor, I didn't want the extra weight hanging and possibly pulling it off over time.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,694 Posts
This is giving me lots of expensive ideas for what to do to the MN12 that eventually takes place of the 97 when it dies... o_O

Reactions: RalphP

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,957 Posts
It must be nice to have an IRS cradle to take pictures of without needing to come up with trick camera angles to make it look better 😆

Were you able to determine in the stripping process if the front K member was powdercoated or painted originally? I always assumed it was PC since other than a scrape from a pesky curb mine looks remarkably good, as they do most MN12s I see, very tough to scratch too.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
It must be nice to have an IRS cradle to take pictures of without needing to come up with trick camera angles to make it look better 😆

Were you able to determine in the stripping process if the front K member was powdercoated or painted originally? I always assumed it was PC since other than a scrape from a pesky curb mine looks remarkably good, as they do most MN12s I see, very tough to scratch too.
I think that's a paint albeit tough a one. It's too thin to be a pc I believe. They do use a primer on all my under vehicle/exposed stuff.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Got the roof painted today. The purists out there won't be happy with me. I never really cared for the yellowish "performance white" my car had on it maybe if it was toward the blue it would have been better. That and the fact that 3 qts of PPG DBC would have cost $500 lead me to go back to the place I got the orange for my truck from. They have a gal of white-white for $160. It is much more bright white which I think will look better and better contrast with all the black.

20201016_195229.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,957 Posts
I thought performance white WAS white white, I associate Oxford or Wimbledon with the more yellowish whites. No purist backlash here though, If I repaint mine it won’t be WR, I like a warmer white myself but I’d prefer something that has less yellow than it has, more of a white/silver effect than white/gold IOW

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
I thought performance white WAS white white, I associate Oxford or Wimbledon with the more yellowish whites. No purist backlash here though, If I repaint mine it won’t be WR, I like a warmer white myself but I’d prefer something that has less yellow than it has, more of a white/silver effect than white/gold IOW
Nope the 94 is the same as my 97, both performance white. It's not super yellowish. It just seems kinda dull to me especially compared to the new paint. I've been looking at newer white vehicles lately ( imagine that) and I definitely like the brighter white with the black wheels and trim.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
When my touch up repair painter friend custom color matched my performance white 94 Tbird years ago for a set of GFX, he added a little brown to a base white to get it "just right".

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Nice work on the firewall, but there’s no way I would drill all those holes in an otherwise straight car! This would have been the perfect time to delete the cladding on the sides.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
I like the mouldings. I think the car looks pretty slab sided without it.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts