TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to get some more pep out of my poor f150, it's a 97 f150 4.6 extended cab 3 door, standard bed, 2wd, 4r70w auto trans.

Currently what I have done to it is excessive maintenance:
Synthetic oil change
Mercon V transmission service
New u-joints
Rear differential fluid change
Battery (interstate MT-65 green top)
PCV
Powersteering service
Belt
Brakes (rotors, pads, fluid)
Tire balancing and rotation (eventually I want bigger tires, current tires have 80% tread remaining)
Coolant flush
Alignment (2 hours worth of perfection, not slap/toe and go)
Fuel filter
Wiper blades (rain-x latitude blades)
Autolite double plat spark plugs gapped correctly
Ford racing 9mm wires

I've also done a few cheap mods:
Pioneer deck
Kicker speakers
5% tint all around (Vegas sun is brutal)
K&N airfilter
Deleted both air silencers
Ditched the gigantic stock muffler with the stupid looking tip that came out and down from the passenger bedside and replaced it with a dynomax muffler
Replaced 3 leaf pack rear springs with heavier 4 leaf pack rear springs
Installed daystar poly level lift front spring seats

It has the tow package, lower gears, and class 3 hitch. Recently it was hit from the drivers side rear all the way to the front by a teenager jacked up on roxycontin (not stereotyping, he told the officer in front of me that he snorts roxy all the time) he was arrested on DUI and after much battle with his chitty insurance and my own insurance my truck is fixed, several trips back to the body shop later.

On to the primary question what else can I do besides a blower to help this truck from being such a slug. At ~ 3,000rpm at ~65mph it falls on it's face. I'm unsure whether this truck has NPI or PI heads, I have two sets of PI heads at my disposal one set is stock PI heads and PI cams, the other set were ported by TEA with comp cams and beehive springs, which I was planning on putting on my 95 bird (since they came off my 97 bird) but if my truck has PI heads already maybe I'll put regular PI heads and cams on my 95 bird, but I'm curious if it would make a noticeable difference on the truck. Is there an intake manifold that helps these trucks? Perhaps the trickflow piece?

My goals are:
More power
More towing capacity

On my to buy list anyway currently are:
A DirtyDog TC stall yet to be determined
Rancho shocks
Load assist air helper springs
Better trailer brake
45,000gvw transmission cooler
Tune

I've scoured the f150 forums, but it's nice to get the local perspective.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
As far as I know, the trucks did not get PI heads, cams, and intake until somewhere around 2001 or 2001. My boss has a 2001 4.6 supercrew F150, he just bought a new crate motor for it, and he had to order a new intake manifold a while later, because the original manifold, from his orignial engine, was a non PI intake. A few days later, his new PI intake came in, and all bolted up. He added comp cams, and had the truck dyno tuned, and had a nice true dual exhaust welded up for it. He said that it was night and day the differance it made. The downside is that the brand new crate motor developed a severe rod knock at around 4500 miles, that motor was replaced under warrentee, the second crate motor blew a head gasket at less than 1000 miles. Your milage may vary ;) you're probably in better shape modding the old used 4.6, that's my take anyway.

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
It's an NPI motor; it will take anything you want to do to it, you have room for a huge intake if you want...

Heads from modheadshop, cams, sheetmetal intake, drag tires... :zdevil:

You even have room for quad turbos!! :)

From looking at my bro's truck, it looks like the intake is the place to start... And the tune. :)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Why not do a mild Jmod to help out the transmission?

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not do a mild Jmod to help out the transmission?
It sort of has a mild Jmod, from what I've read on the invoices. It has the upgraded 1-2 piston and the larger 3-4 servo. I don't know if anyone has modified the valve body or springs in it, but it was supposedly a complete rebuild from my previous college professors shop. He doesn't do the trans-go junk.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's an NPI motor; it will take anything you want to do to it, you have room for a huge intake if you want...

Heads from modheadshop, cams, sheetmetal intake, drag tires... :zdevil:

You even have room for quad turbos!! :)

From looking at my bro's truck, it looks like the intake is the place to start... And the tune. :)
would these trucks respond as well to the PI truck intake as our cars respond to the PI car intake?

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
would these trucks respond as well to the PI truck intake as our cars respond to the PI car intake?
I guess that would be a question for Nick... :confused:

A PI intake would work, but the torque curve would leave a lot to be desired; the tune would be completely wrong, I think.

Good question, tho.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Gear is always good. PI cams. I haven't seen anyone do the PI car intake swap but I think it could be good, the truck intake is really terrible. The newest 2V trucks did have the car intake. Watch the temps, I know JL had hell with water temps when towing with a similar truck until he put in a bigger radiator.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Wow, that is either bad luck or he abuses it.

I have a 2000 F-150 Windsor Ford crate motor in my Tbird with a Mustang PI intake. It was put installed in 2001 and has been flawless, I couldn't be happier.

As far as I know, the trucks did not get PI heads, cams, and intake until somewhere around 2001 or 2001. My boss has a 2001 4.6 supercrew F150, he just bought a new crate motor for it, and he had to order a new intake manifold a while later, because the original manifold, from his orignial engine, was a non PI intake. A few days later, his new PI intake came in, and all bolted up. He added comp cams, and had the truck dyno tuned, and had a nice true dual exhaust welded up for it. He said that it was night and day the differance it made. The downside is that the brand new crate motor developed a severe rod knock at around 4500 miles, that motor was replaced under warrentee, the second crate motor blew a head gasket at less than 1000 miles. Your milage may vary ;) you're probably in better shape modding the old used 4.6, that's my take anyway.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gear is always good. PI cams. I haven't seen anyone do the PI car intake swap but I think it could be good, the truck intake is really terrible. The newest 2V trucks did have the car intake. Watch the temps, I know JL had hell with water temps when towing with a similar truck until he put in a bigger radiator.
I'll keep an eye on it, I plan on installing a pair of spal fans and a controller anyway to delete the factroy mechanical fan.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I'll keep an eye on it, I plan on installing a pair of spal fans and a controller anyway to delete the factroy mechanical fan.
definitely delete the engine driven fan. I can only imagine what kind of power it sucks up at higher RPMs. If you do a PI intake, make sure you put real gears in it, since you'll most likely lose some torque down low, which is what the truck intake is designed for. Don't do the trickflow piece, it is for very high RPMs. From a dyno graph I saw, you'll lose power up to 6000, which in this case would be the entire powerband.

If it were my truck I'd do:

1. 93 octane tune
2. PI intake/heads, ported, shaved intake valves.
3. Stage 2 MHS cams with the advanced intake lobe
4. 4.30 gears minimum
5. 90mm cobra/lmaf
6. 70-75mm TB, decent plenum
7. http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/long-tube-headers.php + decent exhaust
8. E-fan

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Def. go w/ the longtube headers and full exhaust. From my readings on the F150 sites it really makes a difference. And skip the shorties as they make no more difference than the stock mani's.

That and you don't have to worry about going through that special kind of hell of replacing the rusted/broken exhaust manifold bolts as you will install locking stainless header bolts.

Working on a 98 F150 5.4L right now w/ broken bolts. Not fun.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
sounds like a fun project I want an F150 now. You think the E-fan is worth the money? It takes more power from your alternator which will add more drag and might require a bigger alternator?
does your fan work off your alternator? :)

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sounds like a fun project I want an F150 now. You think the E-fan is worth the money? It takes more power from your alternator which will add more drag and might require a bigger alternator?
My fans were free, I have a few of them for my projects, however I'll be buying a quality controller and relay kit to reduce the voltage drop and current draw on the electrical system. I'm currently working on a sheet metal shroud and power distribution/relay block for it.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
definitely delete the engine driven fan. I can only imagine what kind of power it sucks up at higher RPMs. If you do a PI intake, make sure you put real gears in it, since you'll most likely lose some torque down low, which is what the truck intake is designed for. Don't do the trickflow piece, it is for very high RPMs. From a dyno graph I saw, you'll lose power up to 6000, which in this case would be the entire powerband.

If it were my truck I'd do:

1. 93 octane tune
2. PI intake/heads, ported, shaved intake valves.
3. Stage 2 MHS cams with the advanced intake lobe
4. 4.30 gears minimum
5. 90mm cobra/lmaf
6. 70-75mm TB, decent plenum
7. http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/long-tube-headers.php + decent exhaust
8. E-fan
1. 91 octane tune, no 93 out here
2. I decided I'll use my TEA PI heads since they are freebees from my old motor
3. I decided I'll use my comp cams since they are freebees from my old motor
4. 3.73's are in a 10,000mile old axle they will stay until bigger tires, then 4.10's or 4.30's
5. 90mm lmaf or sct big air are in the future
6. Bigger throttle body would probably help but I'm still manifold shopping first.
7. Definately
8. Already working on it lol.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
does your fan work off your alternator? :)
haha nevermind that was a stupid question

Edit: to clarify no it works off your water pump for some reason electrical fan just seemed like it went with alternator which was dumb.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Interested to see what you come up with. My dad has an '01 with 130k-ish miles. He's wanting to have a spare engine ready for it in case something happens. Of course, I'm thinking upgrades.

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
I've got a 98 F-150 4.6L: Reg Cab Long Bed. I've always wanted to spruce it up and get it nice again but she's got 165k, and the rust on that thing makes me cringe. Sucks, was a great truck too... I'd buy another in a heartbeat but finding the off road or fx4 package on a long bed is a hard thing to do. Good luck with the project though!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts