TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think mine is failing...I cleaned it a few years ago and it has seemed fine up till about 2 months ago....sitting at a light in gear with a/c on it just drops to almost stalling then right back up with no notice....kinda scary......I tried cleaning it again, no good results......THEN I ordered a (Cheap) one from a seller on Ebay for $37.00 SHIPPED for a BRAND NEW ONE!!--engine started up after installation and ran ok idling for about 15 minutes then it stalled out completely-CRAP!.....I contacted the seller, they immediatly credited me and said just throw the valve sway....that makes me wonder IF they knew these things were bad from the start.
IF anyone thinks I should try anouther NEW IAC valve please tell me what brand is good and working for you.

MY question now is does what I've described sound like a bad IAC valve? I already replaced the TPS and no change there. Thanks for any suggestions and info!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I had bad luck with an aftermarket before as well. Use an OEM Ford or Motorcraft part.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Thanks! Thats what I was kinda thinking......Do you think the IAC is my problem with eratic idle that I describe?
Yup, that and/or a vacuum leak which is VERY common on these cars. Use a propane torch (not lit) and spray propane around the engine and vacuum lines with it idling, if the speed of the engine changes, you most likely found the leak. You should also be able to hear it sucking.....

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Standard makes ok valves to, being that it's a 97 4.6 2v the IAC is a 10 min job. Also make sure to reset the computer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help and suggestions guys! I've also heard that carb cleaner and stuff like wd-40 sprayed around vacuum lines will help find leaks as well-I have actually replaced several bad-looking lines a while back but I'll check things out again now and look up either Motorcraft or Standard IAC valve.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Thanks for the help and suggestions guys! I've also heard that carb cleaner and stuff like wd-40 sprayed around vacuum lines will help find leaks as well-I have actually replaced several bad-looking lines a while back but I'll check things out again now and look up either Motorcraft or Standard IAC valve.
You can get a brand new one from Advanced Auto Parts for $30.99 if you buy it online with discount code ES123, then you can just go pick it up at your local store.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can get a brand new one from Advanced Auto Parts for $30.99 if you buy it online with discount code ES123, then you can just go pick it up at your local store.
Thanks! Before I go & look at it, what brand is it? and is it any good or will it perhaps bee the same as the one I bought from the seller on Ebay?
I know this valve is super-easy to change but I'm afraid I'll start wearing out the bolts if this keeps up-lol

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Thanks! Before I go & look at it, what brand is it? and is it any good or will it perhaps bee the same as the one I bought from the seller on Ebay?
I know this valve is super-easy to change but I'm afraid I'll start wearing out the bolts if this keeps up-lol
They didn't have a Motorcraft listed, it was Standard brand. But the way I look at it, you can change it right in the parking lot and if it doesn't work right, exchange it right away!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts