TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Another point of interest for anyone looking to do this, Be sure you have a Mustang dip tube handy. I had one from when I did my motor build last year, it comes in the head bolt/head gasket swap kit. I tried to get the T-Bird one to fit, didnt seem to want to go in, but the Mustang one dropped right in. Now this could be due to the fact the engine is still bolted to the K-member and the motor mounts, but I'm thinking it has more to do with tube placement. Either way, perhpas if you assemble it with the dip tube then the mounts then the headers it might work I dont know. All I know is I couldn't get mine to work, but the mustang one dropped right into place. Something to keep in mind.
engine oil or transmission tube? which one? I am assuming engine, but please clarify :D

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Engine oil dip tube, sorry for the confusion. I didn't even think of the trans dip tube as with the 5-speed in my car, I dont have one anymore, lol. ;) But like I said before, I can't find an auto or manual option for these headers so I'm guessing they only have one set, and with that I don't see the trans tube being an issue, but it might not be a bad idea to have one of those handy as well.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
hey GM want to sell a set?

-John
I believe GM hasn't finished his first modifed set yet. Unless you plan on buying a set of his and having them "modified".

Note to CableguyJJS3: What would you charge for a second modified set (should go pretty quickly since you've already built one)? Make some jigs!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have thought about doing just that. However my welding skills leave alot to be desired. That said, the guy that did my welding charged me $50. If someone wanted to send me a drivers side header I'd be happy to modify a set and send them over to him and have him weld. Or I can cut the tubes up fit them and send them back tacked for your welding pleasure. I had $30 in the u-bends I bought to have enough pipe so at least that is needed. I'm not going to throw out numbers, I'll just say I'm really really really cheap. If someone is dead serious about doing it, shoot me a message, I'll be happy to talk about it, and I'm more than happy to help out a fellow member.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Excellent! I've been waiting for a man like you! :eek: lol

Seriously, ok step 1 ... find a set of Mustang long-tubes. Do you have a model number of the set you started with? Were they for a '98-'04 GT?

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I think MAC is poor quality is there a better quality header that is similar?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
On a whim I was looking on ebay the other day at mustang headers and your right Pypes look identical to the MAC headers. Now if they fit or not I cant say I didnt have a set of them to work with. When I put my motor in last year I had a set of JBA shortys and a set of the SSA Auto chrome ones, they looked identical as well, but the SSA's didn't fit. I wouldn't feel comfortable trying a set of headers that weren't dimesionally the same as the MAC headers for the simple fact I dont know where the tubes would land in relation to the enigine and the K-member, therefore I wouldn't know how to modify them. I make my offer to modify the headers for anyone serious about having it done, but obviously I can't promise they will fit. I don't have a parts car around for mock up, nor am I inclined to take mine apart everytime, lol. But I am about 99% confident that if I was to do another set that I could do them and they would fit without any major issues. And yes the ones I used were 96-04 GT 2v longtubes. I bought them used so there was no box and they didnt have any markings on them at all, so I have no idea what the model number is. But like I said earlier, when I bought them I searched the net and the MAC catalog and only found the one set for that application, so you should be safe with any set you find. if your interested, let me know, I'm happy to help, this is fun for me, lol.

·
Super Moderator
16,821 Posts
I'm not too worried about the K member as the SN95 has relatively similar clearance, I'm more worried about floor/firewall clearance with other headers. If they didn't sit low enough I'd have to hammer on the floor :beek:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Depending on how close they are maybe not. I noticed tonite my drivers side is actually touching the floor, but just barely. I'm going to try a little leverage persuasion to get it to sit down lower a tad, and if not the yeah, a light hammer on the floor never hurt anyone, and not in the amount that I'll need.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Depending on how close they are maybe not. I noticed tonite my drivers side is actually touching the floor, but just barely. I'm going to try a little leverage persuasion to get it to sit down lower a tad, and if not the yeah, a light hammer on the floor never hurt anyone, and not in the amount that I'll need.
Shoot, years ago I had a '70 Chevelle that I had lowered by cutting a loop out of the coils and my headers wound up flat on the bottom (touched the pavement a few times)..... I believe they were Blackjacks.

What do you mean you won't test fit them on your car?!? What kind of service are you offering here? :rofl:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Im actually really impressed at how tight these tuck under the car. If you are eye level with the bottom of the car you cant see them at all. I don't see any scraping issues at all in my future.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Im actually really impressed at how tight these tuck under the car. If you are eye level with the bottom of the car you cant see them at all. I don't see any scraping issues at all in my future.
good glad to hear that cause the rest of my $ht hits everything.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'll prolly still drag the rest of the car but the headers shouldn't hit hahaha.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Awesome! I think I'll keep an eye out for some cobra MAC longtubes, and see if I can make them work on the MarkVIII.
Or possibly the BBK units for the Cobra?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Just some additional on this. I purchased some SS 2v headers to do this. I just got some no name ones. They will not fit without smacking tge floor on the drivers side. Since the rear bolt on the head is still about 1" off, I cant imagine how much I would have to beat the piss outta the floor. Also, the #1 tube rubs the body chanel (not sure what you would call it) or the pare the subframe bolts in to.

Just FYI. If they would have fit at the flooe like these, I would have run them, but not knowing how much I had to bash the floor was too much unknown to do this.

SWS

·
Super Moderator
16,821 Posts
Pypes brand? I know they make lower priced SS longtubes and I believe they tuck up further on Mustangs than Macs.

I think the key to finding good headers for these cars is to find which headers have ground clearance issues on Mustangs :tongue:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Not sure on the brand. They are quality sis though. I will be trying to make them fit on the sc shell after I get my lx and bronco finished this year.

SWS

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
21 - 40 of 82 Posts