TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,747 Posts
You would need something to support that shaft at the firewall like the mustangs have. Also, that shaft linked won't work with the MN12 steering rack, Mustangs have a triangle coupler and the Thunderbird uses a splined section

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
You would need something to support that shaft at the firewall like the mustangs have. Also, that shaft linked won't work with the MN12 steering rack, Mustangs have a triangle coupler and the Thunderbird uses a splined section
Thanks. So it's basically modify the headers or modify the shaft as described elsewhere?

Also, was trying to find steering shafts on RockAuto, and I can't find them for either Mustang or Thunderbird. Are they called something else other than Steering Shaft?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I no longer have to pass through DEQ in Oregon so I'm thinking about redoing my exhaust and putting Purple Hornies on and getting rid of the cat and three mufflers. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
16,747 Posts
Thanks. So it's basically modify the headers or modify the shaft as described elsewhere?

Also, was trying to find steering shafts on RockAuto, and I can't find them for either Mustang or Thunderbird. Are they called something else other than Steering Shaft?
They probably don't sell them, the only part that can really wear out would be the rubber rag joint that couples the rack and shaft together.

You wouldn't be able to use the Mustang shaft anyway, it's got a different coupler at the rack and the design itself isn't easily adaptable(It's not D shaped like ours and aftermarket type shafts are). The best bet for modifying the shaft would be to duplicate the routing of the Mustang's shaft, rather than the shaft itself. Most here route an aftermarket shaft out of the way to the frame rail with an eylet bearing, which works fine on 5.0s, but the width of the 4.6 really would necessitate running the shaft between primaries as it does on Mustangs, so some sort of firewall support would be necessary.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
I don't mean to interrupt but,
Sean Highland Motorsports still has a pair of NEW long
Tubes if any one is interested.

Totally bolt in.
No mods to the car needed.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I don't mean to interrupt but,
Sean Highland Motorsports still has a pair of NEW long
Tubes if any one is interested.

Totally bolt in.
No mods to the car needed.
That really would be the best option given the fact that people take too long to make custom-made long tubes :tongue:

How much is SHM asking for that set?

·
Registered
78 Posts
If I had the money, I'd buy them and take them to a reputable header company to have them replicated so we would have a legitimate long tube header option.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
$1295. For the pair
It might be Possible to negotiate on the price though.

1 3/4 primary tubes, shift at 7000.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
Possibly. The only way to know for sure is going to be to buy them and mock them up and see what is hitting.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
You have to be careful with stainless steel headers. They normally require backside protection against the atmosphere during welding because they oxidize severely in the presence of oxygen.

I should have a nice little treat for MN12ers very soon......

.....and they will come in many flavors. ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
:eek:

...Drool...

:zdevil:

Zod Engineering FTW!!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Possibly. The only way to know for sure is going to be to buy them and mock them up and see what is hitting.
Roger that.

General Zod said:
.....and they will come in many flavors.
CNC bender for consistency? Or?...

·
Super Moderator
9,144 Posts
I'm waiting for the 2v flavor, personally. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Roger that.

CNC bender for consistency? Or?...
Ha! If I could afford a cnc bender, I'd already have one lol. now you're dreaming. Lets all be happy I'm even doing this :) There's other ways to achieve consistency. Remember, I am not an exhaust shop. Just a one-man army going against the grain armed with just a couple nifty tools, and a nice collection of jumbo-sized neurons. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
41 - 60 of 82 Posts